• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Do You Punch?

On advice of several good boxers and MT fighters on another forum, I'm trying to turn my fist over all the way, not just horizontal - ie: palm facing out and thumb pointing down. Should still be horizontal at impact, but the extra twist should ensure it's still snapping out hard and not just pushing.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you're referring to, gzk, having come across it online. These two videos demonstrate the advice the boxers gave you.

Jab:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359746_throwing-jab-boxing.html

Right Cross:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359747_throwing-right-cross-boxing.html

In the Jab video, he calls it a corkscrew and specifically says the thumb points down. I'm learning the JKD method, but the idea is whatever you're comfortable with/works for you.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

How Do You Punch?

Everyone's going to hate my answer, but, here goes...EFFECTIVELY...that's how I punch!

I don't alter my punch...ever! I'm a firm believer that my punch or whatever, must be consistent at all times, no matter the situation! Hitting the bag, the makiwara, kumite, kata, and/or drills; my punches must remain consistent. Otherwise, I'm only pushing, not punching! Does this mean I don't seek improvement? NO! It means that I'll be consistent at all times; past, present, and future!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

On advice of several good boxers and MT fighters on another forum, I'm trying to turn my fist over all the way, not just horizontal - ie: palm facing out and thumb pointing down. Should still be horizontal at impact, but the extra twist should ensure it's still snapping out hard and not just pushing.

My DT partner has worked with this one as well. We have noticed that turning the punch way over like that offers great protection of the face by the shoulder.

I wonder if the more vertical the fist, the easier if not faster it is to perform a snapping motion, while with the more horizontal (and even beyond horizontal) a fist, it's not that you can't do snapping motions, but they might not be as "snap effective" as the verticals.

Well, everything has its pros and cons.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I wonder if the more vertical the fist, the easier if not faster it is to perform a snapping motion, while with the more horizontal (and even beyond horizontal) a fist, it's not that you can't do snapping motions, but they might not be as "snap effective" as the verticals.

The vertical snaps faster than the horizontal because, and most already know this, the vertical motion is done/returning, while the horizontal still has 45 more degrees to travel. As far as "snap effective" is concerned, both vertical/horizontal are nothing without the hips.

SOLID!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thinking of the rapid snap punch compared with a strong push punch, I wondered if there would be a special benefit with regards to the push-oriented punch, such as to have the punching arm completing its strike in the right forward place to be used in a takedown.

In poking around YouTube, I found different bunkai that incorporated a block and then a takedown. I expected to find some push punch that would have that forward position (as opposed to snapping back/away, and so not used in a takedown). When I examined different videos, the ones that had the block, then the striking arm staying forward for the takedown, were all using elbow strikes, not push punches, when the striking arm was forward and worked with the blocking arm to take the opponent down.

Here's a good example, done in regular and slow-mo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=txP8vWt3xQE

I wonder if you're looking to utilize a strike that has a pushing as opposed to snapping motion, the fist isn't your weapon; the palm heel strike might serve that purpose, instead.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'm not sure if the horizontal is not as quick to pull back or not. When I punch the bag, I don't feel that I have a slower time returning a horizontal punch, but I may give it a look the next time I do.

As for the "pushing" punch, I don't think that is a good way to look at the technique. Instead of the punch being a push, I'd rather refer to it like a sword thrust that isn't retracted right away; a thrust that ends with the weapon still left in the target, so to speak.

As far as that technique is concerned, I see it the most in forms. Many times, the punch is thrown, and left in the end position, then the next move is transitioned into.

I tend to step forward while exerting full force with my right arm.

This seems to be more like a lunge punch that's in a form, Gordon, but puts full bodily force into it, like a battering ram. Knockdown power.

I usually practice from orthodox stance, so my right will be without step, although I raise the heel/use the ball of the foot, turn the hips, put the upper body into it, the power going through the shoulder and arm to the fist that's turned. A boxer's right.

As far as that technique is concerned, I see it the most in forms. Many times, the punch is thrown, and left in the end position, then the next move is transitioned into.

Perhaps it's meant to be interpreted, Brian, as a follow-through knockdown, or a snap for impact that's not performed in the form but it's there to be used if desired.

A one-step sparring exercise that comes to mind has a push (or maybe "thrust" is a better word, as in the sword thrust example) punch to the face, and then with that forward hand an immediate grab of the back of the opponent's neck for control to execute the next strike.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu