• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teach For Free?!?

Interesting.

IMO, as you be come an advanced rank in any style, it is part of the training to help teach classes. If one should ever reach the sensei level, they will have the proper training to teach their own students.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

IMO, as you be come an advanced rank in any style, it is part of the training to help teach classes. If one should ever reach the sensei level, they will have the proper training to teach their own students.

I believe that also except that I believe in teaching certification. Just having the rank shouldn't mean your able to teach.

Rank equals skill level and knowledge of techniques. It means you can perform and have a certain level of knowledge. It doesn't necessarily mean that one has the ability to pass that knowledge to others.

Hence have separate teaching credentials for those that wish to teach.

I'll do just about anything for a dojo that I'm in.

Though if I'm forced to join a martial arts school that is a business first. Meaning their main reason for being is to make money for the owner then no. I'm a paying customer give me my service(instruction). Don't try lighten your work load by having your other customers volunteer to help you provide the services your supposed to be giving. If these businesses do then they should compensate their volunteers.

Anybody consider the accountability of an instructor that has an AI that commits a crime against his students?

Paid or volunteer it doesn't matter. The instructor will give a AI authority over other students. Is the instructor responsible if the AI sexually assaults a child or adult? Do instructors do a background check before they make a student an assistant instructor? How about take a psychological screening? Why a Psychological screening? Because a background check is only useful if the person was caught doing something wrong.

There can never be enough supervision. There was a case of an assistant instructor molesting young children in the dojo while their parents and instructor were there. This happened on many occasions and with different students. The AI was an adult.

Do you think a student(18 years and under) is not capable of something this bad? There was also a case where a student wrestler used a wrestling technique to sodomize his opponents. This was also done many times and with others around.

Those my be isolated cases but I'm just putting them out there to show anything can happen.

Do you as instructor do everything possible to protect your students when you give authority to someone else? Should the instructor be responsible for the actions of those he puts in charge? In a civil anyone can sue and the court would entertain the lawsuit but how about criminally? Is there a law in penal law that would hold you responsible for the criminal acts of others you have given authority to?

Do you as instructor do everything possible to protect your students when you give authority to someone else?

You're very much in the right to bring this up, Jaedeshi.

Should the instructor be responsible for the actions of those he puts in charge?

Civilly, I'm afraid the instructor is involved. How much so in terms of civil responsibility (as in losing your shirt) depends on what the case turns up.

In a civil anyone can sue and the court would entertain the lawsuit but how about criminally? Is there a law in penal law that would hold you responsible for the criminal acts of others you have given authority to?

You can't hold someone responsible for another person's crime, but if your actions make you an accessory, well, say hello to jail time.

Jaedeshi's post refers to worst-case scenarios, but vigilance to keep the school as a safe environment is a sign of the times.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I do think that it is important to work with AI's on the how's of teaching. Not everyone can teach, but everyone can learn something positive from the experience, and perhaps get good enough to teach one day.

I too don't think that it's illegal to have our AI's teach for free. But, I just wanted everyone to be aware in the time of economic downturn, that lawsuits are on the rise. Therefore, make yourself aware of your Local, State, and Federal Laws to protect yourself because ignorance of the law is no defense.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 4 months later...

Well, as an elementary school teacher, I love programs that have older students helping younger students with reading. Or even having a more advanced student helping a struggling peer within his same class. Should school districts be paying these 5th graders for helping their 1st grade "book buddy"? No. It's part of the older student's education to help the young students. In many cases, having to teach someone something helps you strengthen your own knowledge of it. A brown belt may be able to do a basic front kick without having to think about it, but forcing him *to* think about it in order to teach it to a younger student and figure out what the younger kid is doing wrong and how to fix it will help him learn it better himself. Teaching can be a wonderful way to learn and I see nothing wrong with having more advanced students teach younger students as part of their own training. We do it in schools all the time.