• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wills Clashing Violently!

Which of these combatants are more than likely to win in an unarmed fight?

~Combatant #A = SKILL (You pick the Skill)

OR...

~Combatant #B = WILL (You pick the Will)

In essence people will react differently to warfare. War is not about killing the enemy, that is only the most visible aspect of warfare. War is about wills clashing violently. People don't fight over nothing, there is always something to gain and something to lose.

SKILLS or WILLS...

Either one...Just Bring it to the fight!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would say that Sun Tzu's idea of "death ground" comes into play here. If the less skilled person thinks their life is in immediate danger, they can defeat the person with more skill. Their will to live allows them to show bravery that they wouldn't otherwise.

"Throw your soldiers into positions whence there is no escape, and they will prefer death to flight. If they will face death, there is nothing they may not achieve. Officers and men alike will put forth their uttermost strength. "

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Cecil Woodham-Smith's "The Reason Why" examines the persons and events that led up to the charge of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War.

The British were not conducting the war against Russia properly due to officers from the aristocracy who had legally purchased (instead of earned by merit) their rank, and so military errors were bound to happen.

The book does not deal only with the Light Brigade and its historic charge; it deals with events before it, which include an unusual attack by the Heavy Brigade, one in which the greatly outnumbered British cavalry fought its way into a far larger number of (properly trained) Russian cavalry, then fought its way out. When it comes to the Light Brigade, it was an error in conveying and interpreting orders that caused the cavalry charge against artillery. In both instances that I've referred to, the British will was so strong that, even against a numerically larger and more powerful (artillery) enemy, it was the enemy who received a tremendous shock.

The fighter with proficiency in the simplest of fighting techniques, skilled in blocking/parrying, punching, kicking, and, if need be, zoning, who has greater will to prevail than his opponent(s), is the one I'd put my money on.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I wonder if another way of looking at Bob's proposed choosing skill or will for first place can be compared to two students, either academically or in the martial arts.

One may have the skill, such as a naturally brighter or more talented student, and the other may be average in intelligence or natural talent. The one who is truly motivated (Will) tends to bring out the best in him/herself. The naturally brighter/more talented student starts with an advantage; lack of motivation (Will) sabotages this (underachieving). The average student can achieve satisfactory results, but if highly self-driven (Will), the greater motivation enhances and can have the average student bypass the more skilled one.

I'm sure that instructors who are forums members have seen gifted & motivated and gifted & unmotivated, as well as average & satisfactory and average & motivated. Personally, I feel that the one who puts his/her whole heart into it has an advantage and, in an unarmed combat situation, that drive may mean everything. Of course, perhaps there is no set rule that puts one of these, skill and will, first; there may be many anecdotes, though, that lead us to think of choosing one to take first place.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

My quote on my signature tells my opinion...

Joi H.

"Victory does not come from physical capacity- it comes from an indomitable will"- Gandhi

Which of these combatants are more than likely to win in an unarmed fight?

~Combatant #A = SKILL (You pick the Skill)

OR...

~Combatant #B = WILL (You pick the Will)

In essence people will react differently to warfare. War is not about killing the enemy, that is only the most visible aspect of warfare. War is about wills clashing violently. People don't fight over nothing, there is always something to gain and something to lose.

SKILLS or WILLS...

Either one...Just Bring it to the fight!

I'm going to say Skill, since you said unarmed combat. Had you said anything goes like weapons, that would be a whole different story.

The only physical aspect I know of that constitutes Will is adrenaline, and that will only get you so far if you are a trying to defeat a Judo Black Belt, for instance.

A New Age Dawns

The only physical aspect I know of that constitutes Will is adrenaline, and that will only get you so far if you are a trying to defeat a Judo Black Belt, for instance.

Let a Judo Black Belt get ahold of me, and where my skill might be lacking, my will to survive is akin to a tiger being trapped in a corner...I'm going to get out! Or...I'm going to die trying!

I've a noted skill, yet, I'm glad I've got the will to apply the skill where it's needed!

**Proof is on the floor!!!