• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The bane of learning the side kick, is the round kick...

Assuming a side thrusting kick is actually desired... my approach is to get them so familiar with the mechanics as delivered during a spinning side kick or step-behind kick that it's ingrained, and they're almost addicted to the feeling of thrusting power. Then, giving them time and asking them to kick hard, perhaps reinforced by holding a shield, they'll happily make sure they pull the leg across to chamber it properly so they can reconnect to that feeling, and get the same satisfaction during the lock. Then, very gradually, comes the process of developing the timing and positioning necessary to deliver a fast kick off the back leg.

Separately, the side piercing kick should look a bit like a turning kick....

Cheers,

Tony

I hear what you're saying Tony. I just want the kick to look like the kick being executed. I don't want a side kick to look like a roundhouse kick vice versa when all is said and done. Even if the kick is deceptive to fool ones opponent, it should look like the kick that's being executed, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
When you first teach the kicks, I think it's important to show the students specific chambers, so they don't go through what you're describing. I like to show the students that the side kick is more of a thrusting kick, while the round kick is more of a snapping kick.

I could spen an entire class session working on the proper chamber position of a side kick. I agree with what you say here, in introducing the specific chambers for each kick, as in my TKD style, we do have different chamber positions for each. I think a big part of it is in drilling the chamber itself, without kicking. Just to get that chamber position down right, and in the beginning. On the occasions that I do get to teach, the side kick becomes one of my pet projects. I can only do so much with one class here and there, but I can always hope that they take it with them.

I'd start by getting them hooked on proper body mechanics. 'This is what it feels like to get hit with a kick chambered that way - hold this shield - *thump*.. and this is what it's like to get hit with it if you chamber it up here.. *KERPOW!!! (crash of student hitting the back wall) *.. any questions? Pair up with the heeeavvy shields and practice your kicking.'

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Good idea, for sure. I also like to do slow kicking while the students use the wall or a chair for balance. That one really helps them "remember" how the leg goes and how the muscles should be working for a particular kick.

I also like to do slow kicking while the students use the wall or a chair for balance. That one really helps them "remember" how the leg goes and how the muscles should be working for a particular kick.

This video:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359090_concentration-kicks-tang-soo-do.html

is titled "Concentration Kicks," but the basic idea (the wall for support, go slow, work the muscles) can be used for any kick. She's actually demonstrating a hook kick, but starts off referring to how she's chambering for the side kick first, so in that regard the video fits in with this topic.

I think that if instuctors are watching students perform the side (or hook, or roundhouse) kick in this manner, it's easier to spot the little things to be corrected, not only for the teacher to catch but for the student to be aware of.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu