• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am glad this is a topic of discussion. What I find interesting is that I grew up learning I believe was ITF (chun ji, dan gun, do san, whon yo and palwge's when i first started out and I to this day still remember at least all of chun ji and a little of the rest even though I haven't practiced those forms(pardon the spelling of those, which were probably butchered) in over 10 years yet the newest style ATA I can barely remember how to do Songham 1?? Although it is the freshest in my mind as of 4 years ago? Very strange but yes 6-7 forms per belt is a lot, seems like a school that concentrates on form for tournaments and not so much sparring and self defense.

Courtesy & Respect - Integrety - Self control - Perserverance - Indomitable Spirit

• 7 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

My dojang uses both the Taegeuk and the Palgwe series, along with the advanced Kukkiwon forms (Koryo, Kumgang, etc...). We also have two short forms that my master created for beginners. My master also modified the Taegeuk forms, whenever the WTF uses a high walking stance (Ahp Sogi), we us a low front stance (Ahp Kubi Sogi).

I've also learned the Kicho series from Tang Soo Do. They're not part of our syllabus, but I like their simplicity.

"I have mastered the greatest technique of all: Being much bigger than my opponent."

"The hammer fist solves EVERYTHING!"

• 3 weeks later...

We teach Songahm Taekwondo. Having learned most of the Taeguek forms going through the ranks in my original WTF school, I can honestly say that I prefer the Songahm-style forms.

I think they do a better job of breaking down the fundamentals and gradually introducing them. Songahm-style forms are also much more challenging the upper ranks. I just started learning the 4th degree form and the form includes a leg sweep. I believe the 6th degree form has a spot where the individual has to add 25 moves of their own to complete the form. It's definitely different than the traditional forms I started with.

Nick Zorn

4th Degree Black Belt

Owner, West of the Moon ATA

https://www.myataschool.com

I believe the 6th degree form has a spot where the individual has to add 25 moves of their own to complete the form. It's definitely different than the traditional forms I started with.

In 6th degree form, there are basically "blanks" in the form to fill in. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking the moves the practitioner wants to do may have to be submitted to either a regional director, or even HQ, to be approved for their form. But I don't know for sure. That be a question for a regional director or other ranking individual. Or for a 6th degree.

The 6th degree form is called "Jahngsoo," and here are the instructions for the empty moves...

"Moves 57 to 86 must be created by each 6th degree black belt. Direction regulations state that movement #57 must move toward the south creating line 1, then moving back to the center and continuing north, creating line 2, then moving back to center and moving west then back to center, creating line 3 (see form diagram)

Nick Zorn

4th Degree Black Belt

Owner, West of the Moon ATA

https://www.myataschool.com

• 2 weeks later...