• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Patches on gis

the beast

How does everyone feel about having patches on your gi's ?

Our senseis ranking instructor, who happens to be from a different school, wants the students at our school to have his schools patches on our gis. I for one don't like wearing any patches on my gi. Just curious as to how everybody else feels.

Semper Fi , Dave

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The only patch I have is the organization my school is affiliated with. I found out that when there are tournaments, they're "closed," and everyone is expected to wear an organization patch. But a school patch or school name on the back of the dobak jacket is frowned upon.

My children chose extra patches, which are flags, one on each arm, but they're seven years old, and other children have these as well. Their teacher even gave my boys little one-line patches that say "Courage" as a morale boost.

I think that if you're a teenager on up, you're in the adult world, and the fun patches should remain in the children's world.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

How does everyone feel about having patches on your gi's ?

Our senseis ranking instructor, who happens to be from a different school, wants the students at our school to have his schools patches on our gis. I for one don't like wearing any patches on my gi. Just curious as to how everybody else feels.

I don't mind having patches on my uniform. I have some on mine, but they are all regulation. I have seen at tournaments some other students from other schools that have the name of their school on the back and this is accepted by both the governing organization and at the tourneys. I've never heard anyone say anything against it. In fact, some of the higher ranking dans often have their region or school name on the back. It's all good - no big deal.

I actually like seeing patches on uniforms or names of school - at least you know what school the person is from or what style they train under. (i.e. "oh hey, you're from such & such's school!") It's all personal preference I guess.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I train ITF style TKD so we have to wear their dobok which is covered in embroidery. Most people will have their school's/group's badge on the right chest which is great for recognising people at a tournament or other event or sometimes they have the name of their school or country on the back underneath the tree. As far as our tournament regs go, these are perfectly fine and I actually like seeing them because you can see where everyone comes from. There are assistant instructor/instructor/master/grandmaster patches that you're supposed to wear on the shoulders but not many people bother with them and its only really the masters and above who bother putting them on.

Personally I don't mind patches as long as there aren't too many.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Ours have a school patch and an organization patch. Instructors might have a patch that says Instructor on it, and the Master Instructor has one that says so, accordingly.

On my Karate do-gi, I have only the Isshinryu Karate patch, which is standard.

On the Taekwondo dobok that I have, my school's symbol is on the back. I've found that sport Taekwondo schools are a lot more willing to have their school name emblazoned on the back. Not sure why. I suspect it might have to do with identification at big tournaments. Collegiate tournaments especially. At those, your team gets points for forms and sparring both colored belt and black belt levels based on your school. If you have you school's name on the back of your dobok, or on the apron, there won't be much confusion as to which school you belong to, and if you win, which school gets points. This is especially true in forms divisions.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

My class uniform has our organization patch, and on one sleeve a small patch honoring Miyagi Chojun. My tournament uniform has no patches.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

• 3 weeks later...

In my karate we have a organization patch which is the family crest of one of the founders of my style and that its. I like patches, it would be cool if everyone had a flag on their right shoulder to show what country you are from.

In my karate we have a organization patch which is the family crest of one of the founders of my style and that its. I like patches, it would be cool if everyone had a flag on their right shoulder to show what country you are from.

Just a quick question, you mean the founder of your association? or the founder of Goju-Ryu Karate?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War