• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Went to a Shotokan class yesterday

Megamad

I had been increasingly interested in Karate and Shotokan in particular recently, and yesterday finaly went to a class.

Coming from TKD made everything very familiar, and yet it was very different. The stances in Kata are lower, I was surprised by the instructors stability while performing kata in very high speed. I would sometimes feel that in TKD sparring and Poomse have nothing to do with each other, in karate there seems to be a very firm connection.

Allso Karate fighting strategy is surprisingly quick and explosive and relies on very dynamic and sharp footwork, that I wouldn't guess from the seemingly stiff katas and kihon training.

I had a good time and learned alot, very refreshing experience.

Practice makes perfect, but if no one is perfect, why practice?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the limited time I have now for martial arts training I want to focus on Judo. But I do belive I'll come back to that class later on in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

All styles have strong points and all are effective when used properly. There is no "best" style for everyone. I find it disheartening to hear people disparage another style when they really don't know what they are talking about.

As a long time Shotokan practitioner I always get a kick out of people who say the deep stances aren't practical, or that all a Shotokan guy can do is reverse punch from a front stance. The higher level Shotokan katas include techniques that are very "soft" in nature, looking like Kenpo moves more than traditional Japanese karate. It's all good. People in other styles are always so shocked to learn that we do such techniques in Shotokan.

The higher level Shotokan katas include techniques that are very "soft" in nature, looking like Kenpo moves more than traditional Japanese karate. It's all good. People in other styles are always so shocked to learn that we do such techniques in Shotokan.

Hi SaxonPig,

As far as I understand it the low dynamic stances of Shotokan were introduced by Funakoshi's sons - in the most part Gigo.

Prior to this, the stances were more upright and fluid. So arguably the low dynamic stances that we know and love Shotokan for, have become a traditional part of the art, but perhaps weren't there in the first place.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I had been increasingly interested in Karate and Shotokan in particular recently, and yesterday finaly went to a class.

Coming from TKD made everything very familiar, and yet it was very different. The stances in Kata are lower, I was surprised by the instructors stability while performing kata in very high speed. I would sometimes feel that in TKD sparring and Poomse have nothing to do with each other, in karate there seems to be a very firm connection.

Allso Karate fighting strategy is surprisingly quick and explosive and relies on very dynamic and sharp footwork, that I wouldn't guess from the seemingly stiff katas and kihon training.

I had a good time and learned alot, very refreshing experience.

Nice to see insight from someone with a TKD background.

Lyoto Michida uses Shotokan (quick and explosive) very effectively in Kumite and MMA.

that all a Shotokan guy can do is reverse punch from a front stance.

well my reply to that person would be what a very wise sensai once told me before kumite "a man can survive on bread and butter , kizami zuki and gyaku zuki"

Welcome Patcherson.

Osu.

- Killer -

that all a Shotokan guy can do is reverse punch from a front stance.

well my reply to that person would be what a very wise sensai once told me before kumite "a man can survive on bread and butter , kizami zuki and gyaku zuki"

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Well, I think the differences are very easy to overcome, as TKD and Karate are so much alike in technique. I think what seperates them is mainly the way you train and the emphasis,