• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combat Sports MMA glove review

tallgeese

So, in an effort to get rid of my poser UFC brand training gloves, I recently tried out a pair of Combat Sports MMA Training gloves.

These are an open palm, open thumb that's about as basic as they get. That being said, basic is fine as long as it's constructed well and serves it's purpose.

On the construction front, I found these gloves to be solid. Seams were sturdy and the material appeared to be durable. Padding was adequate and along the lines of what one would expect from a glove of this nature. It was a bit dense, but acceptable. The velcro closures clamped the wrist well and all of the velcro was covered once wrapped, a pet peeve of mine.

They held up well for striking and allowed good ability to grab.

On the down side, they are pretty rigid. Due to the angle of the fingers, there is a bit too much compression between the smaller fingers while striking. This can really add up if you're working any kind of bag work. Expect a long break in period.

All in all, I give them a "just all right", which is unusual for me since I tend to really like CSI products. Personally, I'll probably continue to use my poser stuff until I get another pair of Fairtex.

The most attractive thing about these gloves is the price, and if you're working a budget like most of us these days, that's a major concern. On that front, at least these things won't break down anytime soon. Just don't expect the comfort of higher end models.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks for the review, tg. I've seen some MMA gloves being sold at one of my local sporting goods stores, along with some bags, and may look into a pair.

Great review for a great product. I have a pair of the model tg4 mma training gloves. I assume that you are speeking of the same gloves. These is a bit of time involed in breaking the finger loops in but a great product. I also have a pair of Fairtex that are simular and they fit a little better out of the box. Again thanks for the review. I also have to agree that CSI has some great products.

Yeah, when you talk about value for quality CS stuff is hard to beat.

I do agree, based on previous experience that Fairtex models do fit better than just about anything out of the box.

It's higher, for sure. There is a great level of function and quality, but you'll pay for it.

I think I spent around 90 on my current set of boxing gloves from there. They are easily the best competition level gloves I've ever owned and they've held up for three years now.

That said, due to the cost, I don't work heavy bags and such in them. I don't remember what I paid for their MMA gloves.

All their gear that I've had is good. The major downside is the price. While I'd give thumbs up to all the gear from them I've used, I do wonder if it's worth the tag sometimes.