• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weapons training vs. Doctor

So I'm sitting in my doctors office this morning to get some stitches taken out of my hand. Turns out if you cut your hand with a katana, you kinda need those. And the funny thing was, I was done training with it, and was just putting it back and lost grip. But, I digress.

My doctor walks in, asks me how I cut my hand originally, and I told him. As with most of the doctors and nurses I saw between the ER and there, he asked, "katana?" had to explain that. Then, he asked with an extremly surprised look in his face, "you use weapons in martial arts training?" I get the feeling he's never heard of that, and this guy has been my doctor since I was little, I'm 22 now! Just kinda made me laugh a bit. :karate:

Be formless, like water

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aren't the laymen of the world concerning the martial arts so....cute! They say the darnest things!

:lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Same sort of reaction PittbullJudoka and I got sporting bruises and glove marks at my last job. People were surprised that you could get a black eye in martial arts. The most shocked, the mother of a boy enrolled in a different school.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I often get looks from the other angle. Everyone expects me to be able to whip 'chucks around or spin a bo. Neither of which I can do or have ever really trained to try and do.

The idea of just focusing on knife and club work is odd to many people who look at it as part of ma's. Certainly, I get odd looks when I talk about guns.

Same here, my style teaches weapons and when people see me use them they think I'm practicing some ancient mystical martial art cause they are so use to tae kwon do here.

I have been approached by numerous officers and asked what style i study and if i would teach them.

I get a kick out of the people watching a weapons demo because you can see them from time to time flitch because they were very sure that the weapons practitioner was going to let go of said weapon, and that the weapon was going to come flying towards them, and then they were going to get hit with said weapon. Then at almost the same instance, they breath a sigh of relief when they discover that that fear didn't come to realization.

While I get a kick out of seeing this from spectators, I can understand their uneasyness because it would surely hurt to be hit by an out-of-control weapon.

Is the applause from the spectators for the practitioners skill, or, is it because they weren't hit by said weapon? I'd say...both! They're very glad that the skill of the practitioner prevented them from being hit by any weapon.

:)

Don't you love it when you go to the doctor because of a martial arts related injury and when you tell the doctor how it happened, the doctor says..."Why? Why would you do that willingly?" How do we usually reply? "Because it's fun and I love it!" Doctors will usually just shake their heads in disbelief and just say..."OK?!?"

My favorite is when a doctor says..."Obviously you're not that good at it, were you?" No doc, stuff just happens!

:)

It is interesting to hear the reactions that different folks have to the unique injuries we may experience now and then.

When I did my SCA fighting, I would come up with some very interesting injuries. Explaining them was always fun. :D