• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for Info: Krav Maga vs. Kempo

Hi Guys,

I am interested in learning something about what Krav Maga is all about. I am a 1st degree black in Shaolin Kempo and I am wondering how Krav Maga differs from Kempo.

Not looking for a bashing session of either one, but real facts. I live in Phoenix, AZ and there are not exactly a lot of Krav Maga schools nearby to walk in and ask.

Thanks for any help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you find a Krav Maga school to train in, you'll find a very reality-based setting. Probably not a lot of formalities, either. The DT instructor at the college here has time in Krav Maga, and from what he's shown of it, I have liked.

Krav Maga has quality control problems. A good Krav school is some of the best martial instruction you can get: a bad Krav school is what you'll probably find. Check it out- go there with an open mind- but be on guard for poor instruction.

I agree with Toptomcat. If you find a good KM school you really found something but beware of people who get "certified" only up to like level one and then try to act like they are teaching the whole KM curriculum and have bad technique. The same rule applies to any martial art, you have schools that are good and some that are not so good.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

In my opinion, most Krav isnt going to be very good, for reasons stated above. The only thing worthwhile from Krav are their weapon defenses and disarms. Everything else of their hand to hand combatives I feel is very lacking when taken into account.

Alot of their hand to hand is borrowed from other styles- mostly boxing, muay thai, judo, wrestling, and BJJ. That being said, its almost a crash course in MMA and can be fairly worthwhile (ASSUMING you have a decent level instructor) while at the same time not being on the same level as learning from actual boxers/thai fighters/grapplers. I find the styles over-reliance on eye gouges and groin attacks to be one of its biggest weaknesses.

• 7 months later...

You dont have to look for particular instructors, but rather you should have an instructor who is willing to spar with you (say in a boxing/kickboxing/jiu jitsu session) from light contact up until hard sparring.

A skilled fighter knows that hard sparring is essential in training someone how to fight effectively. A pretender is someone who doesnt spar for whatever excuse (most use the "its too dangerous" line) and thinks they're still able to teach effectively how to fight. Its like taking swimming lessons from someone who's never been in the water.

Most important, before signing up, watch a class or two, maybe more if you can. The best way to determine the quality of the instruction is to see it firsthand. Krav Maga is one of the "hot" fighting arts right now, so a lot of people want to get in on the action...its best to make sure that the instructor you're going to be learning from actually knows what they're doing.

• 1 month later...
Most important, before signing up, watch a class or two, maybe more if you can. The best way to determine the quality of the instruction is to see it firsthand. Krav Maga is one of the "hot" fighting arts right now, so a lot of people want to get in on the action...its best to make sure that the instructor you're going to be learning from actually knows what they're doing.

I wouldnt say its "hot" but more that its just popular among soccer moms who want to switch up their cardio kickboxing routine.

I'l second what everyone else has cited in regard to quality control in Krav.

I'll also second Jim's assertion about their weapons work. Thier disarms and retentions are USUALLY top flight. It's really one of the strongest points of their operating systems.