• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Military Service Member Starting Karate

Danielsan

You should be able to check with an association to find out where the various schools and clubs are located. That way, you can kind of get in mind wherever you may end up, what might be there for you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bushidio, I think that's great advice, because people often forget how truly organized large associations are, but I think his main problem with checking to see where schools are by associaton, is that he can't be sure where he'll end up. The military can toss him around. Lots of people request places like Japan and Hawaii, but end up in California, Texas, Germany, etc.

I think, and this is just me, that if you don't know where life will take you, it's better to go to the best school you possibly can, and learn. You can always prove yourself later, if you come to a school of the same style. Most instructors are more than willing to let you prove your worth. Not your arrogance (knocking people out), but how valuble you can be to their school (teaching).

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I think that is more good advice.

As I mentioned earlier, the local Shotokan karate instructor seems pretty good and I have heard good thing about the local Aikido instructor. Would it be too much at the beginning to start both - take one class a week with each? Or do you folks recommend just sticking with one and then learn a second one on the side later? I'm considering doing both for a few reasons:

1.) twice as many days working out.

2.) increase my knowledge/skill

3.) increase the chance of having that same style (by learning 2 instead of 1) at my next duty station - where ever that will be.

Thanks to all so far for your input!

If you feel like you can effectively practice both styles at the same time, then by all means do so. However, it is difficult to keep up the schedule, and push yourself to go to both in one week. If you're a beginner in both, which is sounds like isn't quite the case, but almost. Personally, I would stick to one until you have a fairly solid foundation, and then cross train with the other.

It is true though, that some people can very easily handle training at two different places in one week, but not all can. If you want to do things this way see how you handle going to one school for a while, and then go to the other if you feel like you can fully commit yourself to both schools. If you think your training at one or both is starting to suffer, then choose the one that gives you the greatest benefit mentally and physically.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

Bushidio, I think that's great advice, because people often forget how truly organized large associations are, but I think his main problem with checking to see where schools are by associaton, is that he can't be sure where he'll end up. The military can toss him around. Lots of people request places like Japan and Hawaii, but end up in California, Texas, Germany, etc.

I think, and this is just me, that if you don't know where life will take you, it's better to go to the best school you possibly can, and learn. You can always prove yourself later, if you come to a school of the same style. Most instructors are more than willing to let you prove your worth. Not your arrogance (knocking people out), but how valuble you can be to their school (teaching).

I agree with you, on both counts. But since maintaining a rank seemed to be a major concern, checking where organization clubs are located can increase the chance that you end up somewhere that a similar school is located. That's all. Playing the probabilities.

I agree with you, on both counts. But since maintaining a rank seemed to be a major concern, checking where organization clubs are located can increase the chance that you end up somewhere that a similar school is located. That's all. Playing the probabilities.

Makes a lot of sense. I forget, because I've been without a car for about 5 years, that people can and will drive to different dojos haha.

I'm sure he could find a JKA Shotokan place, or one that will recognize the ranking, just about anywhere. Aikido, not so sure.

- Tao Te Ching