• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring head gear

Sokusen

I was just recently at a tournment and saw several people loose there teeth, which made me re-think the type of head gear I have. I saw a couple of people wearing a Mizuno helmet,

http://kuroobiya.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=88

It's kind of expensive but then again so are my teeth. Has anyone out there used this helemt? Good, bad?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never liked the full face head guards... for one I think people need to know what its like to be hit in the face. If you're worried about your teeth a good mouthguard is a better option, cheaper too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Never had experience with that particular model. I do think that head gear has a place in training, but mainly in heavy contact drills and sd sparring where full tilt elbows and knees to the head are a possibility.

I prefer a caged style headgear like pro-force makes. It just seems studier, the down side is the bars can and will interfere with your vision. It's probably no ideal for point or semi contact stuff.

If you give it a go, post a review and let us know what you think. By the way, I'd second a good mouth piece. It's probably the most underrated piece of gear out there. Try to get your hands on a custom fit job for best results. It can be a bit high in price as well depending on who does your dental work, but it's well worth it.

It looks somewhat like a Boxing style headgear, but not as thick.

I think I'd second the mouthpiece, too. But, using both wouldn't hurt, and that headgear may help protect you from a knockout, as well. Quite pricey, though.

I already have the pricey mouth guard, which probably saved my teeth. I took a nice boot to the jaw, which rang my bell. Though the people that lost their teeth all had mouth guards, no idea how much they spent on them though.

I understand the idea that people should know what it's like to get hit, but at the same time these tournaments are supposed to be fun. I'm not a professional fighter I just like the feeling of a little competition every now and then. This last tournament just put things into perspective. I'm not getting any younger and the bills aren't getting any smaller. So is it worth the risk of increased medical bills not to have the right gear?

I already have the pricey mouth guard, which probably saved my teeth. I took a nice boot to the jaw, which rang my bell. Though the people that lost their teeth all had mouth guards, no idea how much they spent on them though.

While I'm not surprised that you wore a mouth guard, Sokusen, I am surprised about others who wore mouth guards experiencing such damage. No wonder you're looking at greater face protection.

I understand the idea that people should know what it's like to get hit, but at the same time these tournaments are supposed to be fun.

You're absolutely right. I understand the desire to win (when I was in high school, I won at chess and received trophies; when I was in my twenties, I competed in handgun target shooting and received awards), but a kick to the teeth (I'm assuming they were kicks, not punches) that knocks teeth out sounds more like a brawl than a match. I'm in my fifties now, and I think of my children someday entering sparring matches. But the last one I watched, which was non-contact, had kids punching one-another in the face--hard. (A warning was given, then the loss of a point if done again. Yeah, right. That'll put an end to it. I wonder who the kids are imitating?)

There was mention of a cage face mask in another posting, and I have seen it advertised. I guess it's the best face protection that permits freedom of breathing. Does it interfere with sight? No matter what face mask, wouldn't a mouth guard still be warranted? Teeth clanking together can chip or break, and maybe bite the tongue, even if the face is protected.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yes, the bars can and do interfere slightly with your vision at certain angles. It's part of the trade off in it's use. It is a good training tool for certain things, like all safety gear, it has drawbacks.

And on the second part, yes, a mouth piece is still mandatory with its use. As it is with any head gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Mizuno is a trusted brand, and I've heard their head gear are widely used in Japan. I'd guess it's a vinyl covered head gear with maybe a polycarbonate shield. In the US, there are cheaper versions of that type of head gear for sale by many vendors. At ASE, we have some, but most of our customers have switched to Macho.

Macho makes both clear shields and metal cages (grids) that fit their Dyna Heads and Warrior Heads. These are not recommended for full contact, but should be adequate for most point sparring needs. AAU Karate is requiring the Macho Warrior Head with Warrior Shield for kids at their tournaments.

As far as clear shield vs bars vs cage, like others have said, there are tradeoffs. Bars (kind of like catchers masks) can create blind spots, but clear shields can fog up. Metal cages can be a bit heavy, and on open face head gear, they put that weight forward which can be uncomfortable. Both cages and bars are probably a lot stronger than shields, but that's just my opinion. No numbers to back it up.

With any of these, fit is important. If your head gear is too loose, whatever protection you have can get pushed against your face. And use a mouthguard! One of the main functions of a mouthguard is to keep your teeth from clacking against each other causing them to crack. Shields and cages aren't much help against that.

Oh, and pricing. Off the top of my head, I think the suggested retail for Macho Dyna Head is around $32 and Warrior is around $44. Shields for either cost an extra $50, and cages are around $72 extra. I assume some vendors will discount off the suggested retail. Vinyl heads of various brands with clear shields or bars seem to run somewhere around $60 to $70 complete.

Hope this is some help!

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

My main reason for using non-open face headgear is simple, I wear glasses. I personally prefer the bars on my mask for the reason that shields can fog up. A link to my headgear can be found below.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Sparring_Gear/Headgear/Headgear_with_Facemask.aspx

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

My main reason for using non-open face headgear is simple, I wear glasses. I personally prefer the bars on my mask for the reason that shields can fog up. A link to my headgear can be found below.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Sparring_Gear/Headgear/Headgear_with_Facemask.aspx

This looks like very good headgear, Malanovaus. It doesn't seem to restrict vision that much, and I see that the prices are for child and adult.

You mentioned glasses; I wear rigid contacts, necessary for proper eyesight instead of soft. All I'd need is a shot to the eye to crack the thing in there. I guess the cage has its weight drawbacks, but eyes (and noses) have their value, too.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu