• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I did get promoted after all! The testing/evals was on Tues. and Wed. evening, but I've been a little too wiped out to post before now. The thing is, I was not really expecting to be promoted, since I just got 4th kyu 3 months ago, but on the other hand, just objectively speaking, I felt that my karate skills warranted a higher rank. As I have gone on and on about before, the disturbing part for me has been questioning my teacher's judgement, not just the little issue of wanting the status of a higher rank. With this promotion I feel much more at peace that they really are open to seeing people as individuals. Yes, it still generally takes a very long time for people to promote through the ranks, but the reason I stay is that it is very good training. Being a lower rank does not hold you back from what you can practice, so it doesn't matter in that regard. I have checked in to a few other karate schools while questioning some of the policies in my current school, and I think I am in the best place for me. One school I looked into seemed to promote people too fast, and their brown and black belts did not look up to snuff to me. There is another school that I respect a great deal -- we meet their students in tournaments a lot, and they have great attitudes, great basics, and etc, but seem to be a little more generous with getting people ahead. However, the school is a 15 mile drive across town. I can't see doing that drive several times a week, as opposed to less than a mile where I am now.

Anyway... as for specifics of the evals... I felt really good in my standing basics, moving basics and combinations, 3-step and free sparring. As far as kata, it's always so hard to know because even one little spot where you don't strike quite as strongly as you might, or not having your elbow pulled tight enough, on and on all of the myriad details that we work to perfect all the time, can be enough, seemingly, to keep you back. At least that's what they say, but maybe it's just that they don't think you're ready for other reasons, and tell you you need to fix those details before you can get the next rank. At any rate, I felt that the overall performance of both of my kata was strong, but in one there was a very slight but important moment, right at the end, where my cat stance wobbled a bit, but sensei gave me credit for the fact that I didn't show it on my face, and quickly pulled it together.

I just want to say thanks for all of your support. Near the end of Wed evening, before I had found out the results, I was thinking of going home and posting on here to report on events (which I turned out to be too tired to do!). I think I would have been OK with not passing this time, too, but of course it feels better to get it! The point is, it helps to know that regardless of outcome there is support and encouragement to be had!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats! Promotions are one of my favorite parts of training. Whether it's me or another getting promoted. Its a new beginning, a step forward, progress toward a personal goal, shedding of the old you...like becoming a butterfly. :lol:

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Yahoo....congrats! Feels good, doesn't it?

Thanks, Sensei8. Yes, it feels great! The best part is the renewed sense of energy and committment for training. I am especially feeling a strong desire to refocus on basics and basic kata, so that I can be a good example, and eventually a good teacher, to those "under" me. It's fun!

• 1 month later...