• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrist Grabs - DO they work Today?

Dobbersky

Wrist grabs may also be used to teach the basic mechanics of how using leverage or recognizing weak points can be used to your advantage. I know we cover this when we are talking about self-defense because it's great and all if you can follow along like a puppet in class, but if you don't understand why something works to make it effective, then I believe you are wasting your time. I agree that people don't use wrist grabs as much (especially static ones where the attacker just stands there) A wrist grab isn't completely useless though, it is a way to change a person's body balance, a way to physically try and move them or it can serve merely as a handle for the attacker to use for control (whether it be to either to make sure you can't block very well or use it for other things like locks and breaks) So I really don't think we can throw away wrist grabs as being useless to do or learn to defend against.

"It's not how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep fighting..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought on this: sure we don't carry swords anymore, but if you're going to carry a handgun it pays off well to know how to escape a wrist grab that's preventing you from drawing your firearm (which a savvy fighter can do).

You have to give the wrist TO them first!"

You do? I disagree... I don't have to have anyone give me their wrist(s).

Actually the point of it was "Disrupt them a little bit, actively give your wrist to them to grab on to, then do one of your wrist grab escapes to attack them with".

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I have had many street altercations and I have never had my "wrist" grabbed by my assailant. I may have had my "collar" grabbed or shoulder but never my wrist.

Dobbersky,

The question that I have for you is; Have you ever been attacked on the street by an expert trained fighter who is well versed in wrist grabs and joint manipulations??

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

You have to give the wrist TO them first!"

You do? I disagree... I don't have to have anyone give me their wrist(s).

Actually the point of it was "Disrupt them a little bit, actively give your wrist to them to grab on to, then do one of your wrist grab escapes to attack them with".

I'd have to disagree with this theory. Seems like you're overthinking it too much. The average person isn't going to grab your wrist unless they want to prevent you from doing something with that hand, such as drawing a weapon or say opening a door. I think this is a low percentage theory in my opinion.

If you've given them your wrist, you've given them one of your weapons. A wrist escape is getting that weapon back so that you can use it or run away.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

The defense against the wrist grabs that I'm studying now end when green belt is exited to red belt. They're seen as basic training exercises that can be adapted (with training) to a variety of other situations.

As for the likelihood of having your wrist grabbed, I think it's more likely to have it grabbed with your hand in an "up" position than a "down" one. You might have just one hand up, as in a "Hold it" position (different from two hands up for a fence), and your assailant could seize it--meaning you'd better be quick to react, because he's going to kick you anywhere from your knee to your ribcage. I think that there are women in the forum who could attest that a male has grabbed either their wrist while in that "up" position (perhaps their other hand is holding a pocketbook) while they were saying they wanted to be left alone, or their upper arm, both these actions intending to control them.

If we focus too intently (literally?) on that it's "defense against the wrist grab while the wrist is in a certain dojang-directed position," we lose the basic training concept. I think that training against a grab against any part of the arm while it may be in different, likelier, positions should be a consideration.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Kuma beat me to one of the reasons I think wrist manipulations are still worth being taught. Weapon retentions, as much as the weapon control/disarms tallgesse talked about, are very good reasons to still teach wrist work. If I have a weapon that I need to deploy, I don't want the person I was using it against, or an ally getting their hands on it. If they pull a weapon and I don't have the "run the heck away" option, I want to keep it out of play.

The "ugly street wrestling" that tallgesse brought up is a real possibility as well. A lot of people go with that natural reaction to grab on in a fight. They will try to drag down your arms or control them, that is when the escapes and small joint manipulation can come into play. Wrist control is key in wrestling, along with the collar tie/neck grip. Those two things work like a stearing wheel for someone who can grapple. The untrained with try to tie up your arms out of reflex.

When you get on the ground, the wrist work isn't done yet. Actually, getting a wrist manipulation can break open other opportunities for other things. I've gotten wrist locks on people who out muscled and out techniqued me in ground work. You can defend against an armbar and I can turn those locked hands into a wrist compression. Creating opportunities and taking out weapons are good things.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I have had many street altercations and I have never had my "wrist" grabbed by my assailant. I may have had my "collar" grabbed or shoulder but never my wrist.

Dobbersky,

The question that I have for you is; Have you ever been attacked on the street by an expert trained fighter who is well versed in wrist grabs and joint manipulations??

The answer Sieja-san is no not on the street have I come across another "fighter", I have however had much experience in the Dojo of Joint manipulation etc from studying Wado, Jujitsu and Aikido and to some extent Gungfu. I won't mention the style that I refer to regards the "Static Wrist grabs" as I feel the style is excellent just that the Senior Instructor didn't understand the principles himself the be able to make me and the other students understand the concepts.

On the Street, it tended to be local "yobs" who for some reason didn't want to "talk about it" I hope this last statement doesn't sound "cocky" I always teach my students that if they can talk their way out of situations it is much better than standing and fighting with someone.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'm assuming you're looking at this from a male perspective. If you were female, you might think differently. I'm male, 6'5" and 200 lbs. so no, I've never had anyone try to fight me by grabbing my wrists. However, a lot of thugs will try to manhandle a woman by grabbing one of her wrists. Maybe he wants her to go with him and he thinks he can grab her wrist and drag her along. I'm sure there are a lot of women who have had their wrists grabbed by men with bad intentions. Since most martial arts schools have both male and female students it seems like a good idea to have wrist grab defenses in the curriculum.