• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Hidden Danger of Kata

:smile:-: , I don't think he's serious.. There's no way you can write something in that tone and expect people to take what you say seriously. I think his point is some people place too much empahsis on kata, & kata alone will not make you a good fighter.

karatekid1975, I got it from http://www.mcdojo.com

El Guerrero Loco, same =) I want to be able to fight & that's what I train for.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, he IS serious. This guy is complete trash. I have never, ever, ever hated anyone in my entire life, except this one person, whomever, or whatever, he may be.

He is serious about this. He's a MMA masochist who thinks all traditional martial arts are useless. Just read his article about chi. This guy is a disgrace to all humanity, and he is the only person on the face of this earth that I wouldn't hesitate to, or regret, killing on impulse.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

Thats a bit harsh. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You haven't had to put up with this guy. I'm normally a very peaceful person. I've only been in one real fight in my entire life, and I don't recall ever having any enemies, not for more than half an hour or so. But this guy...no.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

Forms have helped me with sparring. See, as you prob. already know, this is a new school for me. At my old school, our sparring was not so much moves as it was force and sweeps. Now, I need actual moves. At first I was so confused, nothing I threw was hitting, so I tried defense and it turns out I was not so good at blocking. I started to not want to go to sparring as much. My sensei noticed my problems, and he helped me with my katas. He said " The sharper and more fluid your katas are, so will be your sparring." I practiced my 7 forms everyday, and spent most of my time downs stairs in my little gym slash personal dojo, or outside doing katas. Next time I went to sparring class, my moves were sharper, I hit more, and concentration improved a lot.

The point is, that katas themselves are not that great at being useful, but apply them to something, and they will improve it, like spices to stew. They add taste, vigor, and kick. Lol. I am your Iron Chef. Anyway, I agree that a school that only does katas will not help you with much, but add in some self-defense, weapons, sparring, grappling, and other aspects of karate and M.A.

Pace ( peace in italian),

Dee :karate:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

On 2002-07-11 12:17, Bon wrote:

Guess everyone has seen this thread now & there won't be anymore posts..

It's not serious, I thought the tone of the article would have told you that. It's from another site, I quoted it.

Have to admit, I wanted to see how you kata enthusiasts would react to it, sorry, I had fun reading your posts =p

hmmm, maybe next time put the entire post in double quotes so that we know you are quoting.

What a site "McDojo.Com" ... :razz: ... I'm glad there are some teens out there (ahem Patrick) that can at least turn out a more quality web site ... rather than a takeoff of "martial art jackass" with the admin. as Johnny Knoxville.

Personally I like Steve-O LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."