• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Hidden Danger of Kata

I also believe that forms are definitely not useless. Like it was said before here, forms have an important role in the whole MA experience. In MA, there is forms, step sparring, breaking, sparring, and training (basics, kicks, drills, ect). You need all of this to become a great martial artist. If ya have one weak link in a chain, it would break :wink:

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kata are an excellent form of practice. Although my martial art of Aikido does not contain them as such, they are one of the things I miss the most from Shotokan. However, when doing kumite, the thing that you use the most is the most basic and best trained technique. I think the moves in a kata are lost in the real world. But they are a great way of moving meditation and focus that calms the mind, which will help you in a real situation.

train well

:karate:

Guess everyone has seen this thread now & there won't be anymore posts..

It's not serious, I thought the tone of the article would have told you that. It's from another site, I quoted it.

Have to admit, I wanted to see how you kata enthusiasts would react to it, sorry, I had fun reading your posts =p

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

However, I still wanna rebut all your posts, maybe tommorrow. I've promised myself at least 6 hours of math a day leading up to my exams.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Thanks, Mr. Man :smile:

I got it, Bon. Where did ya get it from? If it's from aol posts ...... hehehehehe. I like to start s**t on there hehehehe. Seriously, if ya got it from aol messege board, I know they like to argue about everything. It gets ugly LOL.

And oh, I still love kata/hyung :razz: LOL

Laurie S.

Green belt TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-07-11 13:29 ]

Laurie F

Bon, do you actually believe in or agree with a word that come's out of Peedee's mouth? That...thing is a disgrace to humanity. I don't know what kind of enviornment or psychological traumas could have possibly spawned something like Peedee, but he is the intellectual equivelant of a ******** neanderthal, to put it lightly.

As I said on McDojo:

You have to practice repeatedly to get good. Instead of practicing one move over and over, you get a bunch of moves and practice them together. You have a kata. Besides practicing a variety of moves, you also learn footwork, something which is not present in simple repetition training. Kata alone will do nothing. You have to practice alongside other aspects of the art, most importantly kihon, maybe even kumite now and then. That's what gets you good. Ignoring kata is only a result of being too dense to understand it.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

I'm pretty young and guess what? Kata isn't exactly my fav aspect of my training. Both sides have made good points but i tend to lean tot he dark side(bon). But i am blinded by the rash arrogance of youth :eek: I juss wanna be a great fighter man...watever will get me there i suppose....

"Live free.

Die well..."