• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i am new and learning kung fu tell me so tips

I go to nees kung fu in folrida and i need some tips to help me kick higer and gain more speed i am sevnteen years old an learning for selfdefence so pleas help me out.

welcome to kung fu. what system do u practice? it sounds either like a northern system or choy li fut. the key to more speed is to learn how to relax and tense at the proper times. when ur relaxed, u can move like a wave of water and come crashin into ur target very powerfully. but u must tense on the moment of impact(for ur round kicks) and then relax immediately afterwards. ur teacher should be able to help u better w/ this concept. in most southern systems of kung fu, the fighters prefer to keep the kicks low(usually below the waiste) because u generally begin to lose more power in ur kicks the farther they travel from the ground(usually when it crosses above ur hips). though we do train high stretching kicks for flexibility in our forms and for warm-ups. when u can hold a kick higher, it makes ur legs stronger for when we kick low. if ur tryin to achieve splits, then i'd say watch a t.v. show (usually 30 mins) every day and u will begin to see results within a few months, or possibly weeks. once u achieve it though, u need to continue to stretch daily(but not as much) to maintain it. i've said too much, jus my 2 cents.. good luck!

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

-MASTER "General" D. Lacey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
From what I remember from my traditional kung fu training, my instructors always told me to envision my limbs as a steel ball at the end of a chain. Each strike should be whiplike and the energy should travel from the center of the body (hips, waist, etc.) and the movement should be fluid yet whiplike, explosive, and powerful. Your waist and hips provide the torque and power, not your actual fist, arms, or legs. This is, if I remember correctly, contrary to many of the so-called hard martial arts such as Shotokan or taekwondo. Not that one way is better than the other, but this fluidity ('be like water' Bruce Lee cliche) seems to be unique to softer styles or medium styles such as many kung fu styles. Hope this helps :)

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

My advice is to be patient and to have a good time. Incorporate stretching into your daily routine and put good effort into your practice. Nothing worthwhile comes overnight, except maybe the lottery. Come on lottery..... :P

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.