• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Te Waza (Te Wasa)

Vierna

I need some general info about Te Waza (hand techniques).. Can anyone help me?

Humans say the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Why? Do they think there's a

shortage of bad ones?

Karm'Luk P'an Ku, "The Joy of Lucidity" CY 8633 (Andromeda)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are alot, you'll probably have more luck if you narrow it down. What specifically, or which ones, are you having questions about?

yeah I know xD well, I need only a general info about hand techniques (on wikipedia, they only have a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shotokan_techniques ), for my written test... So, for introduction, I will write generally about them and then about some of them (like Kagi zuki, Mawashi empi, Age-uke....) in more detail... But, I lack that general knowledge -.-

I hope you understand what I want to say, sorry for my bad english, its not my native language...

Humans say the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Why? Do they think there's a

shortage of bad ones?

It's going to be difficult to write about Te waza's in general terms with any effectiveness without having the general knowledge. It'll show up in your writing, imho.

Te waza can be such a broad topic, and in your writing, it'll show up as rambling. One must experience Te waza in order to write about Te waza...this can't be avoided.

Good luck with your writings.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

yeah I know xD well, I need only a general info about hand techniques (on wikipedia, they only have a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shotokan_techniques ), for my written test... So, for introduction, I will write generally about them and then about some of them (like Kagi zuki, Mawashi empi, Age-uke....) in more detail... But, I lack that general knowledge -.-

I hope you understand what I want to say, sorry for my bad english, its not my native language...

Hi Vierna - and welcome to the forums.

As tallgeese suggests, your question is very broad. Maybe you should ask your instructor as to his/her interpretation of the word "te-waza" as it could differ from others here.

Fwiw though, Shingo Ohgami has a section in his book (Introduction to Karate) entitled "Hand Techniques", in which he explains that attacking techniques using the hand can generally be divided into:

Tsukiwaza - Or thrusting techniques ie front punches or strikes that are delivered like a piston to their target with the wieght of the pody directly behind the thrust.

Uchiwaza - Or techniques with an angle between the attacking technique (shuto or Uraken for example) and the arm. Unlike Tusuki Waza the full weight of the body is not directly behind the technique, rather the striking hand makes a circular movement around the elbow/shoulder.

Short range techniques (like elbow strikes) are sometimes referred to as Atewaza, but again the principles are either Tsukiwaza or Uchiwaza.

There are of course infinite amounts of hand positions that can be adopted with the above.

I hope that helps

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

^ yes, it does, thank you :) well, because its such a broad subject, can you recommend me some books, like that of Shingo Ohgami, that has some kind explanation of Te Waza?

shortage of bad ones?

^ yes, it does, thank you :) well, because its such a broad subject, can you recommend me some books, like that of Shingo Ohgami, that has some kind explanation of Te Waza?

As I say, "Introduction to Karate" ISBN 91 9702 31-16

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Kanazawa Sensei has a great DVD out called "KANAZAWA MASTERING KARATE: TE-WAZA", this is an excellent DVD. This DVD is produced by Rising Sun Productions and it's found almost anywhere.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

thank you very much :)

shortage of bad ones?