• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm just looking to learn new stuff proper technique. I've been wanting to train in a ground style for about five years but have put it off to work toward my black belt in Kempo. With that two years in the past and looking to expand my knowledge to help my home dojo. Also the guys I found to train with are just like the guys at my dojo very open and relaxed. Just can't wait to get going on this journey.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I know that I went from the most knowledgeable and one of the best grapples in my dojo to wait I don't know anything and I'm not that good. But after rolling with some guys train actually train I'm not too far behind I think.

Ha! This reminds me of when we first met Pedro Sauer. Tony (my direct instructor) had been training for 9 years on his own and attending various seminars. He had a bb in JJJ. He figured that, on a scale of 1 to 10, he was about a 7 or 8. After Pedro...he realized he was more of a 1 or 2. Since then, he's just exploded. Now he's a bjj brown belt that regularly beats tough black belts. But he says he owes it all to getting in a good BJJ program with Pedro.

With this in mind, do you feel that the time spent with JJJ has been a boon to the time in BJJ? Or do you feel that jumping into BJJ would have been more beneficial to you?

I know that I went from the most knowledgeable and one of the best grapples in my dojo to wait I don't know anything and I'm not that good. But after rolling with some guys train actually train I'm not too far behind I think.

Ha! This reminds me of when we first met Pedro Sauer. Tony (my direct instructor) had been training for 9 years on his own and attending various seminars. He had a bb in JJJ. He figured that, on a scale of 1 to 10, he was about a 7 or 8. After Pedro...he realized he was more of a 1 or 2. Since then, he's just exploded. Now he's a bjj brown belt that regularly beats tough black belts. But he says he owes it all to getting in a good BJJ program with Pedro.

With this in mind, do you feel that the time spent with JJJ has been a boon to the time in BJJ? Or do you feel that jumping into BJJ would have been more beneficial to you?

As a beginner in BJJ, my background in JJJ certialy helped me. My background in martial arts in general actually. I already had good hip movement and an excellent sense of balance as well as knowing where my whole body is at all times. These things are essential in BJJ and can never be taught. They must be learned though experience. But the devil is in the details. There are so many little intricacies in BJJ that without them you will never be exceptionally good. Without them you'll depend on strength and speed...those things go away with time and you're left with far less skill than you thought you had.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I'm just back from my morning bjj and have offically kicked off my training. I learned a couple new to me open guard passes and arm locks I've been doing for awhile. The arm locks I have been doing almost correct just needed a little refinement. All in all a great first class. I felt better when rolling I achived the mount on a couple diffrent guys and took a couple guys backs also. Which for me is awsome. I'm still adjusting to the gi and having all these grips and handles. I did get submitted a couple times due to gi chokes. I tend to forget that it can be used for chokes since at my home dojo everything is done no gi. But still itching to learn much more.

The gi factor is pretty new to me as well. I like the dimension it brings to the game but it is different getting used to.

The gi factor is pretty new to me as well. I like the dimension it brings to the game but it is different getting used to.

Once you've trained with it for a while...you'll be amazed how technical you become. When you take it off...you're no gi game will have just gotten soo much better.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."