• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I finally got around to it. After years of approaching grappling from several different angles, I finally decided to get into a formal BJJ program. I've been happy with what I've done so far, but I'm looking forward to taking my game to a new level.

I'll have to juggle it with the classes I currently teach, but I think it will be worth it. Anyway, just sharing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That sounds great, tallgeese. I know that just the monthly grappling sessions that I have been involved with have helped my ground knowledge out a lot. Getting a regular class in should be great. Let us know how it goes for you.

I'll be honest, it can be a bit frustrating.

My goal was to work thru a formal program so that's what I'm doing. But I've been wresting and dong shoot for so long I always want to move faster and free roll more. An I have trained before, just always secondary to my MMA goals.

So, it's great, for sure. The instructor is good and I'm getting the whole feel for BJJ as a single art. That's all good and what I wanted.

Now, keeping my guys scheduled and working amidst all my own continuing education is going to be challenging. Still, I've been very happy so far.

Going to spoil his fun a little and say PittbullJudoka has started a formal BJJ program. Apparently we suck on the ground despite the rolling. But, for a stand up school with a wrestling background, we don't suck that much if it makes sense.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Good luck and enjoy it. Don't be in too much of a hurry concerning the free rolling bit. BJJ does a lot of going over basics over and over again because in the end that's most important. Keep us updated.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Yeah, I get that. I've always been a big fundamentals guy. It'd be easier if I didn't have a background in grappling in other venues. I'm just used to more free training.

Still, I've got a great group of guys to train with in it who are making it really fun.

Yeah that's been my experience too. Most people I have met in BJJ are pretty good natured people who ar equick to help out and ar very supportive.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I know that I went from the most knowledgeable and one of the best grapples in my dojo to wait I don't know anything and I'm not that good. But after rolling with some guys train actually train I'm not too far behind I think.

I know that I went from the most knowledgeable and one of the best grapples in my dojo to wait I don't know anything and I'm not that good. But after rolling with some guys train actually train I'm not too far behind I think.

Ha! This reminds me of when we first met Pedro Sauer. Tony (my direct instructor) had been training for 9 years on his own and attending various seminars. He had a bb in JJJ. He figured that, on a scale of 1 to 10, he was about a 7 or 8. After Pedro...he realized he was more of a 1 or 2. Since then, he's just exploded. Now he's a bjj brown belt that regularly beats tough black belts. But he says he owes it all to getting in a good BJJ program with Pedro.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."