• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryu leg kicks?

NewLevel

Hey guys...

My sensei taught us a new kick this week which is a low in-step kick to the legs...inside or outside.

Is this only part of bunkai or are there certain katas that include this?

Does these low leg kicks exist in Shorin Ryu? Thanks!

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Shorin Ryu (the particular style I study anyway) we practice kicks that can be used on any part of the body. A low kick like that may be used to injure a knee joint, and the same kind of kick may be used to knock a person out by hitting the side of their head. Not sure if this answers your question...but to the extent of my knowledge there is no specific name for a low kick such as the one you described other than "low round kick."

"We do not do karate. We are karate." -Hanshi Doug Perry

I don't know how it falls in that particular style syllabis, but lots of groups use rounds to the leg. Most will utilize it at a bit deeper range and make use of the shin as a striking surface.

The small bones of the foot, or instep, are much more likely to become injured during a kick to a solid, mass heavy target.

Hey guys...

My sensei taught us a new kick this week which is a low in-step kick to the legs...inside or outside.

Is this only part of bunkai or are there certain katas that include this?

Does these low leg kicks exist in Shorin Ryu? Thanks!

I'd have to see the kick to be sure of course, but yes, Shorin Ryu certainly has low kicks to the inside and outside of the leg.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't found anything particular on the net for a video to show this...but its starts from a front stance, you then twist the lead leg foot and kick with the back.

So it sounds definitely like a round kick?

It can be used to take out a knee, the side of the shin or sweep...etc.

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

I don't know Shorin Ryu, NewLevel, but your OP made me think of a women's self-defense kick by Mallory Senne, whose background is in aikido and kyusho. It's at:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4949101_self-defense-ankle-breaks.html

Is this the kick you're referring to? It really looks effective.

Sorry, New Level, but I posted the link for the wrong video by Mallory Senne. The instep link is at:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4949097_self-defense-round-house-kicks.html

The kick I had inadvertedly linked to uses the insole and the "blade" of the foot, and does look effective, but it's not what you were referring to.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

That description definitely sounds like a round kick.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 3 weeks later...

sounds like a step over kick, we use it to kick into the knee and damage the knee cap. what style do you practice

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

The style and curriculum we practice is Kenshin Kan Shorin Ryu...

Is the step over kick similar to a round kick?