• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you didn't have Karate what would you be doing now?

Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be doing Kung-Fu!

Sorry, I finally just couldn't resist!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 7 months later...

I've been doing karate for so little time, that I prbaply would be doing the same things that I am doing right now except karate.

So, thank god I train karate now....

Edited by Soheir

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

I don't know where I'd be without karate for sure, but I can definitely tell you where I wouldn't be.

Without karate I would have never...

been able to exercise or sing for more than an hour without passing out

developed enough muscle strength to run without twisting my ankles

had the confidence to talk a man out of mugging me

been able to attend college after a hurricane destroyed my city

learned a second language

studied art in another country

met the man I love (and no, he is not a karateka)

written comic books that got some awards and stuff

If I had to guess, I think I'd probably be still trying to graduate from college, possibly with my legs in braces and on many pain killers :lol:

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

I'd be boxing, or kick boxing, wich was what i was doing prior to Goju.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Same thing I did before karate-- watch tv on nights we have class and sleep in on morning we have class. I'd probably have some other interest to fill the void. I always have some interest I'm working on developing-- karate, singing, crocheting, astronomy-- always something or other.

• 2 weeks later...

.....missing it.

As it happens, I've been forced to take a break; taking care of a sick family member and can't make set evening class times.

So either I have to give it up until things settle down, or find a new dojo that offers classes weekday mornings (the only time I could reliably attend).

• 3 weeks later...

I thought, many a time, what would I be like now if it wasn't for my Karate.

What are your Ideas thoughts on this subject?

Being a dayshift worker, that means my classes are in the evening after my shift. If I wasn't doing karate or any martial art, I'd be a chef. In fact, my current hero is Po's father in the film KungFu Panda. I thought it was Tai Lung(which made me take a very brief and fleeting interest in kung fu, especially Hung Gar), but highly doubtful. In fact, I'd love to be a noodle chef's apprentice, just like the pre-Dragon Warrior Po. Oh heck, I may even want to learn how to make my own tofu

In any case, my love for karate had been burning within me for years, since I was a child, and it's unfortunate that I was able to start training only from adulthood onwards when I left home, as my parents could not afford to send me to classes. Right now, Zen and Shotokan are my passion, but I may take up taichichuan one day, as my feeling of connection not only with Japan but also with China(and maybe even the Korean peninsula to a limited extent) is quite strong..especially with my face being of the Southern Chinese variety