• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

continuing martial arts training in college???

My definition of a club might be slightly different. At least the way my experience worked, we started training and different people taught something for the day, someone else did the next. Then we'd spar, alot.

One day we'd be doing knife work, the next an escrima guy would work thru stick training, then we'd grapple, ect. Everyone kind of taught what they knew and we all experimented.

We finally registered with the student union, but it was an after thought. That was my club time anyway. It was a ton of fun, very relaxed and I learned a ton, not to mention I got exposed to all sorts of things.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My definition of a club might be slightly different. At least the way my experience worked, we started training and different people taught something for the day, someone else did the next. Then we'd spar, alot.

One day we'd be doing knife work, the next an escrima guy would work thru stick training, then we'd grapple, ect. Everyone kind of taught what they knew and we all experimented.

We finally registered with the student union, but it was an after thought. That was my club time anyway. It was a ton of fun, very relaxed and I learned a ton, not to mention I got exposed to all sorts of things.

That does sound like alot of fun. :)

It was fun. And no, I, nor anyone else was insured as far as professionally goes. It fell, at least to us, as a bunch of guys working out together, not an "offical" class.

We did all have health insurance, being students and all. That got used more than a few times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran into that difficulty when I started university. There wasn't a Shotokan school in the city. I tried a different style of karate, but it wasn't what I wanted or needed. I ended up getting a punching bag and training at home. This year I am taking a judo class at University. I would see what is around and see how busy you are. A physical sport or martial art of some kind is a nice way to relieve stress.

As for what kind of martial art...I forget what kind you said you did, but I'd go for something complimentary as opposed to supplementary. I went for judo because it's more grappling whereas karate that I'd done for years previous what punches/blocks etc so the two will hopefully compliment each other without making me relearn/unlearn any old training.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing