• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crash & Seize

The June '09 issue of Iain Abernethy's newsletter has a link to a video that interprets what I call a "crash and seize" application within a kata. It's at:

http://blog.iainabernethy.com/?p=231

Go to the right hand side menu and select Online Video Lesson to open/download.

We've had in the past some photos of "covering up" so that the face is protected while infighting or moving straight in, and I've experimented with both forearms held vertically in front of my face, protecting by forearms and elbows. This video doesn't just have you protecting and crashing, but seizing, controlling, and slamming away.

A short video, but a lot there.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Although I haven't seen the video yet, in The Taegeuk Cipher, the author talked extensively about what he called the defensive entry, which appears to accomplish a task similar to what you have mentioned here. A good strategy to practice for self-defense, I think.

JKD has a similar crash entry. Most RBSD entry's are work along those lines as well with some minor alterations. This infighting distance is really effective and again, where you'll see alot of sects of JKD working out of. There is some really good stuff out there as to folding strikes from this range and it's very handy.

Likewise, your MT clinch will work along similar lines as will many MMA intensive schools when teaching fighting out of the clinch. These applications will generally have different methods of closing to this range than the others I mentioned above.

In either case, it's a great range to practice from because even if you are attempting to maintain distance, the bad guy can and will crash into this gap of his own accord from time to time and this will immediately put you there.

Great post Joe. It's always interesting to see various ways kata can be interpreted. And I think the concept of "crash and seize" has a very real translation to real world self-defense.

It's always interesting to see various ways kata can be interpreted.

Our interpretations of Kata are only limited by our imaginations, but, are they effective?!?!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It's always interesting to see various ways kata can be interpreted.

Our interpretations of Kata are only limited by our imaginations, but, are they effective?!?!

:)

Only time, training, and experience will tell for sure.