• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use whatever block/parry is needed
That's easy enough to say, but it is important to spend time working with each of the blocks in various situations, so that one can find which works better, when.

• 3 weeks later...

[A]s one becomes more experienced with the martial arts, then, the laymen starts to realize that the Uke DOES mean "to receive".

This makes me think of a sparring exercise (one of the non-required fun ones, as I like to think of them), working with a partner on the first moves, then the next moves will be added on, and so on.

I remember (from long ago) seeing a video of Fumio Demura instructing, and that he didn't say the high (or "rising") block was force-against-force, but pointed out that when the forearm reaches its uppermost height, it "rolled" the attack towards the end. I don't think it's something you train directly; I think it's something you pick up on and becomes part of you.

When doing the first part of the sparring exercise, something seemed weak about the block I was to use before punching back with the other hand. Then something started having me dip down a bit while performing it, helping the "roll" along. It even made it easier for me to strike (to his midsection) much sooner after I'd blocked. (Ideally, I guess you'd do the two simultaneously.)

I think this fits in with what Bob is saying about "receiving."

ahh i know exactly what it is you're talking about in regards to Sensei Demura. You are indeed "receiving the strike" in this case but to get that requires timing and technique according to my instructor. It is true you can power block by using brute force but that wears you down as it is both tiring to use so much force, and to absorb that much impact.

Rather, and this is what ippon kumite is for, you want to time it so when your opponent throws his punch he is a) committed, b) within proper distance, c)vulnerable. Ippon kumite also helps us develop our sen. So as the strike is now committed and coming towards you, you need to practice catching it with your forearm during your block and learning to rotate it and your hips as well. This is why my instructor emphasizes heavily on practice of proper technique is crucial to allow you learn how to execute them effectively AND efficiently. With the twist of the wrist you've now redirected the strike, with the twist of the hips you've redirected it further away from you body without having to sit there and absorb the hit or using more energy to block using pure strength. Again, the whole "receiving" idea.

On a side note, as a benefit to that twisting, you're now also in a position to counterstrike as your hips are chambered now to rotate in the other direction. I apologize if I'm rambling, I'm not very good with putting my thoughts into words..

edit- blocks can also be used to debilitate your opponent ie- a lunging upper block to the armpit, a shuto/ knife-edged block to the side of the neck