• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Goju-Ryu bad for your health?

Taikudo-ka

In Shorin Ryu, we don't do the full twist punch. We do the 3/4 turn punch, which lines up the forearm bones perfectly, creates optimum muscle alignment, and the most damage (for more on this, see my post at http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7969

So yeah, I agree, the full twist punch is harmful and was introduced into karate as a way to prevent schoolchildren from hurting each other with a more effective punch when it was introduced to the Japanese elementar school system. We don't use it...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Tai Chi. Everybody knows it as a peaceful health excercise. How many of you are aware that incorrect Tai Chi practice can KILL you? Anyone who doesn't believe me, try doing Chen Tai Chi's 2nd form incorrectly. The results range from dizziness to coughing up blood.

Oh my word!

I'm planning on taking up Tai Chi. What causes this stuff to happen?

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Shorin Ryu,

Thankyou for your post it's really got me thinking.To be honest I've never heard of this side of Sanchin before.I've been doing Sanchin since I was about 11yrs old when I started Kyokushin and always been told how good it is for you.After reading your post I have to admit that some of it does sound possible.Before my teacher started training with Sosai Mas Oyama he trained with Gogen Yamaguchi and of course Ibuki played a big part of his training infact Hanshi Arneil was first introduced to Karate by an okinawan who taught him Goju so he has spent a life time doing ibuki and he is now 69yrs and appears at least 10 or 15yrs younger.I know he is just one example so I 'm going to look into this further to see what I can find out.

Never give in

All this speculation about Sanchin being bad for you is hilarious.

There's no way that twisting your wrist is bad for your lungs.

..and squeezing your anus is gonna cause hemmorhoids? Hoo... that's priceless.

I've been doing Sanchin for years. I'm 5'10", 175lbs, 9% body fat, no gut, no cancer, and no hemmorhoids. Give me a break.

Apparently there were dangers to the body in the way sanchin was performed. Over the years it has evolved to make it a little less taxing on the body.

So you're only 9% bodyfat stencil, thats impressive 8) and i was going to start using sanchin as an excuse for this gut i seem to be developing!!! :lol: Never mind i'll have to just keep watching my diet. :(

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I'm a long time Goju-ryu IOGKF stylist, having worked in fairly close contact with Higoanna Sensei many times, and I see that Sanchin is misrepresented. It can be potentially dangerous, therefore no younger students are allowed to practice it or its sister kata, Tensho. However, these 2 katas are considered the roots of our style, and are the most difficult to master. They provide a way to coordinate breathing and movement, mind and body, and make all kata more powerful and dynamic. Sanchin is for the 'Go' or hard aspect of our style and Tensho is for the 'Ju' or soft. Sanchin is closed handed, Tensho is open handed. They are performed with dynamic muscle tension and extremely powerful breathing techniques, so after a few times through, you can feel like you've been sparring for an hour. Properly done, though, there is little possibility of any harm, to the contrary, there are many benefits, both physical and mental! I know some Goju practices are percieved as 'black magic' but there is sound reasoning behind these katas, and even though they are old, they were well concieved.

I happen to be in the physical fitness business, as a gym owner and certified personal trainer, so I have a fairly in depth knowledge of the workings of the body, and find everything we practice to be in accordance with current safe principles of exercise.

Our style is extremely traditional and we often practice single katas and applications for full classes, even months, to perfect the movements. I'm wondering if this is typical and how many others practice Sanchin. i always assumed it was the basis of all karate? This calls for a new post, I think!