• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Goju-Ryu bad for your health?

Taikudo-ka

I've heard that Shi To (and I think Uecchi) have similar things, but they are, as you say, much more relaxed and easy. I remeber hearing that the Uechhi verson was very relaxed, with almost normal breathing.

Anyway, one thing I noticed noone addressed was the so called "Kime Belly", aka "why do old masters have big guts?". Is it really due to constant deep abdominal breathing, or was Bruce Lee right - just out of shape.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know. I haven't read anything about this, and haven't seen too many profile photographs of old Goju masters. My sensei is quite young, so probably not a good example. His sensei has been studying Goju for decades, no big belly on him. I guess Higaonna Sensei sort of has the type of gut you're describing, but I suspect that's pretty much solid muscle and that's just the way he's built...

I practise goju ryu and it sounds to me like somebody is giving you a little bit of a run-around. Goju-ryu is not the only system that has sanchin kata as one of its katas. The problem is probably someone who has had a bad experience or would like you to take another style(probably theirs). Sanchin or any other technique or form can cause you damage if you do it incorrectly. A person can hurt themselves with a fork if it not used correctly, so that goes to show that anything can happen. My oppinion is that you are being given a crock of bull.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I have heard it is harder on your body. In my organization your don't need force, if you do the moves correctly then it doesn't take much force. All Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karate and Kobudo is a very good type because it acually helps you live longer. :nod:

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

I dont do Goju-Ryu, but I have many friends that do. One is an 8th Dan.

Its an excellent style. I have trained with them at training camps many times and I think its a wonderful school.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I wonder if the reputed "side effects" of Sanchin training (Hypertension, cardiovascular disease, etc..) might have more to do with the prevalence of smoking in the Ryukyus, than with any debilitating effects of teh kata itself. You cannot maintain increased intrathoracic pressure for long enough at a time to do that much damage. Instead, the pictures of the early Karateka resemble the physiognomy typical of those with obstructive pulmonary syndromes (i.e.: Emphysema, chronic Bronchitis, etc...) commonly seen with long term tobacco use.

Just a thought.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I wonder if the reputed "side effects" of Sanchin training (Hypertension, cardiovascular disease, etc..) might have more to do with the prevalence of smoking in the Ryukyus, than with any debilitating effects of teh kata itself. You cannot maintain increased intrathoracic pressure for long enough at a time to do that much damage. Instead, the pictures of the early Karateka resemble the physiognomy typical of those with obstructive pulmonary syndromes (i.e.: Emphysema, chronic Bronchitis, etc...) commonly seen with long term tobacco use.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

HobbitBob, you may well be on to something there...

Anyway, I have started doing Goju karate from now on. I am quite impressed by this style. My new dojo is much more traditional than the largely sports karate I've been studying. First thing Sensei did is rip my technique apart, from foot to fist... I'm right back to square one as far as "real karate" is concerned. :blush:

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Taikudo-ka, frustrating isn't it ? But, well worth it. When I started kickboxing, my instructor was picking up on the karate blocks I was doing during sparring. At the time I thought there was nothing wrong with them, better than being hit, right ? Seems so silly now, the leg is much better to block with than the arm, doesn't hurt, and doesn't leave my head waiting to get knocked off.

First time I looked at this thread, I didn't think it was serious due to the name, but then I saw the large number of replies and here I am replying, heh. Sound like a load of to me, I'd like scientifical evidence to back it up before I'll even seriously think about it. There's a lot of other unknown variables in this, their diet, stress levels, emotional stress, diseases, illness, hereditary diseases, high blood pressure.. The list goes on.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Edited for profanity.

[ This Message was edited by: Jack on 2002-07-25 17:16 ]

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I agree. The "Sanchin=Hypertension link is a little too tenuous. Anyone out there doing gradiuate work in Kinesiology intertested in pursuing this?

I happen to think that Sanchin is a very importanat kata, and have incorporated it into my personal training, along with Tensho.