• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

XMA Speed, Martial Arts Power

I've been watching a lot of XMA bo forms. Setting aside my opinion about XMA, the speed some of these guys whip their bo around is impressive.

I imagine the bo they use is specifically for that kind of competition, it's probably very light and not something you would take into a fight for a weapon.

Do you think it's more beneficial to attain this kind of "flair" with a typical wooden bo? :)

I didn't put this in weapons because my query I guess is more based on the fundamentals of XMA compared to other arts. XMA is a lot of show, however I do like the way some of them can throw their weapons around, and that kind of training is something I would imagine you have to do on the side if you are learning a more traditional Martial Art. Kind of a broad question I'm asking I guess. :D

What are your thoughts on achieving the XMA finesse while maintaining a real Martial Arts philosophy and ability? :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

XMA is beneficial for conditioning, flexibility, strength, agility, etc., and while it is flashy it's underlying martial arts principles and philosophies are as sound as those of the instructors teaching it. Just as any other martial arts style some are in it for the substance others are not.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The entertainment value is high with the amount of flair they induce into weapons forms. If you're asking if you could even do this with a traditional bo, I'd be inclined to say no. I can't imagine tossing up a 6 foot long, 1 1/2 inch thick Japanese oak bo, and getting it to spin really pretty. I can imagine someone being highly trained, and moving with the same speed in their transitions as one of the XMAers. Still, there are just some things you can't do with traditional weapons.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I have been told by instructors that if you want to be super fast with a lightweight bo, you should only train with a heavier oak one to begin with. Then when you start to get fast with the oak one, switch to a light weight.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I think that learning the XMA kind of stuff is a great way to augment one's training athletically, and there isn't any question that it can enhance such attributes like hand-eye coordination, balance, etc.

I think that if someone wants to augment their training with XMA stuff, I think that is great. I don't think it is for everyone, though.

Rateh, your instructor is 100% correct. To get faster with a lighter weapon, train with a heavier one. What I was referring to however, are what are called release techniques. Techniques in XMA where the bo is no longer under your complete control, because you aren't touching it. They often involve spins and throws that can't be done with a heavy oak bo.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

Ah, I don't have any personal experience with those types of techniques, so I'll take your word on it.

As far as the original question about doing XMA, I think it can benefit one in many ways. And IMNSHO martial arts training doesn't have to always be just about self defense. If it's fun for you, why not? I did a bit of it back before they called it XMA (at least I hadn't heard that term before). The reason? because I found it particularly challenging. I figured hey, I know I can do a good traditional form, why not try something different?

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

If you mean school as in dojo, do a lot of pushups and leg squats. That's about it. If you mean you're weak at the bo, practice. There's no way to get better without practice. The bo takes a while to learn, because of the way you manipulate it. A lot of people treat it like a stick, but the people that are great at XMA are great, because they treat it like an extension of your limb, as you should. This is why they can perform catches, releases, etc. The bo has to feel natural in your hands. The only way that's going to happen, is with time and practice.

- Tao Te Ching