• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

June Issue of Jissen Magazine Available

No, actually. Interesting response.

I've often seen things reverse engineered into katas. The rage for a time was to imply that just about everyone had "secret x-art ground fighting" dating back to ancient origins hidden in their katas.

While many arts might have one time addressed this, I found it humorous that no on had bothered to tell anyone about those particular hidden gems until BJJ hit big in the UFC's.

Interesting. Certainly I can see how one would view it as different than what you're looking to do with wado kata.

Bingo...;)

Abernethy never claims that ground grappling techniques exist in the katas. In fact, in his books, he has stated that the katas do not contain any grappling (as far as ground fighting goes).

To your knowledge, WNM, does Abernethy abandon what you describe in your posts as the essences of Wado? I don't know what his class layouts are, so I don't know the answer to that one.

Mr Abernethy (and his Wado) was discussed a few years back on the Wado egroup of which I am a member.

The consensus of opinion was - that although it could be said that Abernethy was Wado (or at least from a Wado background) - What he is doing and the way it is done (ie his Bunkai-Jutsu) was not.

Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't make it a bad thing, but equally it doesn't make it Wado either. Wado works the way it does. Take the "essences" (as you put it) out of it, and its katas simply become a list of techniques.

To be fair to him though, I have never met the guy, and in the little material I have read / seen, he does not claim to be doing Wado. He just uses wado katas as a base to work from I guess, because they are recognisable amongst most of the major Karate styles.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to him though, I have never met the guy, and in the little material I have read / seen, he does not claim to be doing Wado. He just uses wado katas as a base to work from I guess, because they are recognisable amongst most of the major Karate styles.

WNM

That would have been my next question. From what I have read, I haven't seen any claims that he is doing Wado now, or that what he is doing is Wado Karate.

I've never read any of his stuff. I'm actually planning on getting some of his work to check out since he's highly thought of here on KF.

The tread I was referring to was one I had noticed in the trade mags a few years back.

I would recommend picking up a book or two of his. I have enjoyed reading them, and I do like some of the things that he does with his kata training. He also takes a well-rounded approach to self-defense training, by using the forms as his base.