June Issue of Jissen Magazine Available

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting article, with many photos to show the techniques applied, is on p. 65, "The Bunkai of Basics 3: Hikite," by Matthew Miller.

The author explains that hikite is "the pulling hand," and there's a page of what must be a repeat of all the photos in the article, organized into a chart. They appear to be simple, effective applications that lower belts (like non-dan me) could pick up with practice.

Worth a look.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Thanks for sharing, Joe. I always find the various applications of the pulling hand interesting to read about, so I'll be sure to have a look at it.

Interesting read, but to be honest a little shallow.

Don’t get me wrong, I think these sort of articles have a place in terms of focusing the mind maybe, but equally I would be a little cynical about taking the applications shown too literally; after all Kihon (basics) are just that at the end of the day building blocks to engender correct form. Imo they are not supposed to suggest application, that’s a little further down the road – but as I say, no harm in giving yourself something to “visualise” whilst you are training – but the ideas presented are nothing more than that.

I have already nailed my colours to the mast with reference to Mr Abernethy (Matthew Miller is a Nidan in the Chojinkai as well I believe), so we won't go there, but here's a thought maybe...

In all honesty, how easy do you think it is to actually grab someone’s wrist during an exchange of fists - next to impossible I would suggest. However to give the author the benefit of the doubt, let’s say they your attacker was trying to grab your wrist (or other part of your body) - possible but I would suggest that the chances of you grabbing theirs wrist at the right time (in the Mêlée) was also next to nowt - so I don't buy the wrist grab and turn thing at all I am afraid.

The author also refers to a “safer” approach to practicing the techniques that has derived from Wado ryu’s Kihon Kumite. I must say (as someone reasonably well versed in Wado Kihon Kumite), there is a kind of poetic irony here, as none of the 10 kihon kumite contain such a wrist grab and turn – or not at least in the way the author is describing it. That said at least he is thinking about Kihon Kumite in which more accurate answers lie I would suggest - in terms of evasion, brushing, parring and entering etc.

I do try to be open minded about these things, but I am afraid I see this article as yet another (among many) by a “slightly informed” karate-ka as a way to try and join up the dots. No harm in having a read but don’t take it as gospel.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I'm not a kata guy, I know, no one here is surprised.

I will throw out there, just for sake of discussion, that grabs happen pretty frequently. Maybe not intentionally, that I'll give you. But when an attacker and defender crash, sometimes it's not as easy to maintain distance as one would think. I'm not talking about strikers v. grapplers here, I'm talking about joe drunk jumping you unexpectedly (or other such thing).

A few punches fly the gap narrows and limbs get entangled. Often, the bad guy will grab either in an effort to hold and hit, or trying to push, move, or bear you to the ground. Thus, there are times that standing jj comes in handy to have in the tool box.

Now, if those moves are bunkai or such I'll leave to others more informed on the subject. But I can see the situation where it'd happen.

I'm not a kata guy, I know, no one here is surprised.

I will throw out there, just for sake of discussion, that grabs happen pretty frequently. Maybe not intentionally, that I'll give you. But when an attacker and defender crash, sometimes it's not as easy to maintain distance as one would think. I'm not talking about strikers v. grapplers here, I'm talking about joe drunk jumping you unexpectedly (or other such thing).

A few punches fly the gap narrows and limbs get entangled. Often, the bad guy will grab either in an effort to hold and hit, or trying to push, move, or bear you to the ground. Thus, there are times that standing jj comes in handy to have in the tool box.

Now, if those moves are bunkai or such I'll leave to others more informed on the subject. But I can see the situation where it'd happen.

Indeed,

How likely do you think though you are going to be presented with the oportunity to grab the wrist in such a way that that you can turn it and pull it toward your body to affct a technique?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

Depends. Maybe more than one would think if one is proficient and comfortable with their use in such a manner.

Personally, I tend to use straight and bent arm motions due to the gross motor function to apply them typically makes it easier to implement them. That being said, they've come in handy professionally from time to time.

Just remember, digging for a small joint can get one in trouble, so use them accordingly.

The article in question/discussion is just that...an article, an observation, an opinion. As someone who's been doing Kata/Bunkai/Oyo Bunkai for over 4 decades, I can speak with authority...every Bunkai/Oyo Bunkai that I've engaged against a resisting live target; every "attacker" has fought back with a vengence so as to NOT get caught in a Tuite trap. Don't let me do anything, let my solid techniques speak for themselves. If you let me do it, then you're allowing me to build upon my self-insecurities...this is wrong!

Pictures shown in this issue of Jissen and many others on the subject are for tutorial purposes, at best. The pictures shown are only POSSIBLE ways that this segment could be brought to its completion. It does serve a purpose, but, the Sensei must decern as to whether what his/hers students are being exposed to are effective or uneffective and here's why.

For a Kata Bunkai to come alive, many things must happen between/before each picture; things that aren't seen. For example, speed/power of the trap aren't evident because it's a still photo; staged or unstaged. Did the "defender" miss the trap during the photo shoot? If so, did the photographer repostion the "defender"/"attacker" so that fluidity is imagined/believed. We teach/drill our students unendingly with this or that until muscle memory takes hold and actions are without thought, they're natural.

But, our attackers aren't some robots that move a certain way and/or react a certain way; their desperate live targets that aren't just going to stand there while we go through all of the steps.

I believe in Kata! I believe in the Bunkai! But I also believe that it takes more than one might realize to do all that's taught in Kata Bunkai. Why? Things happen and as you go to step #2, your attacker throws a monkey wrench into your muscle memory. While muscle memory is fine and vitally important, it must be aware and adaptable at YOUR will, not the will of the muscle memory. I'm extremely skilled at Shindokan/Bunkai/Tuite, but, crud, I'm human and sometimes things happen and I might end up meditating horizontally.

Some are masters in the dojo, while, others are masters on the street where it truly counts. I'd rather be the latter!

In closing, believe, but, be careful as to what one's seeing in a magazine and the like concerning Kata/Bunkai.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

For a Kata Bunkai to come alive, many things must happen between/before each picture; things that aren't seen. For example, speed/power of the trap aren't evident because it's a still photo, staged or unstaged, aren't evident. Did the "defender" miss the trap during the photo shoot? If so, did the photographer repostion the "defender"/"attacker" so that fluidity is imagined/believed. We teach/drill our students unendingly with this or that until muscle memory takes hold and actions are without thought, they're natural.

Seansei8 I read your post and thought now we are getting somewhere.

The problem with techniques being presented in such a way as "bunkia" is the fact that they are lacking the key fundamentals of engagement imo - without which techniques like these simply won’t work as well as they could. As you say these are things that are supposed to happen even before any wrists are grabbed. Things like:

-Set up and dynamic interaction between you and your opponent

-Correct distance and trimming

-Evaluating your opponent’s size and build when considering balance breaking techniques (Kuzushi).

-Maintaining correct posture and centre lines (again interactively between you and your opponent).

-Using stratagems to set up a counter - ie presenting an opportunity for your opponent to attack you in the way that you want them to. Recognising opportunities and/or creating openings if they are not immediately apparent.

In Aikido (and Wado) for example techniques are often "loaded" to encourage an opponent to push against them (human nature). By removing this loading the opponent falls into the space you have created - basic principle of Aiki.

I think you are right sensei8 in that only a good instructor can really explain this, as without the above key ingredients if someone tried to pull off any of these techniques in the street they will probably find they won’t work too well.

But as I say, interesting read and great if it gives you something to think about during training.

WNM

Edited by Wa-No-Michi

I agree with you WMN; now we're getting somewhere!

Every Bunkai must have:

A beginning

A middle

A end

Now, what happens before and after each of the above isn't set in stone, therefore, no set of pictures will justify the Bunkai being shown between the pages. The above WILL happen, no avoiding it, but, how one relates/engages in the parameters of the Bunkai are important. Sometimes, one may not know what to do until it happens.

-Set up and dynamic interaction between you and your opponent

-Correct distance and trimming

-Evaluating your opponent’s size and build when considering balance breaking techniques (Kuzushi).

-Maintaining correct posture and centre lines (again interactively between you and your opponent).

-Using stratagems to set up a counter - ie presenting an opportunity for your opponent to attack you in the way that you want them to. Recognising opportunities and/or creating openings if they are not immediately apparent.

How you've arranged them is solid! I thank you for that! These WILL happen and they can't be ignored nor changed, if nothing else, they might, maybe, be delayed, even then, it's only temporary; something will give.

In Aikido (and Wado) for example techniques are often "loaded" to encourage an opponent to push against them (human nature). By removing this loading the opponent falls into the space you have created - basic principle of Aiki.

Solid! Tuite 101

But as I say, interesting read and great if it gives you something to think about during training.

I concur!

Just because one does Bunkai, doesn't mean that this/these person(s) understand Bunkai; it's an illusion at best!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!