• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question to instructors...an interesting situation I'm in...

My instructor and I could definitely be considered friends. He has been training me out of his garage for a few years now and is one of the most knowledgeable people I know. Often it's just myself and him training, occasionally 1-2 others at most. The training is fantastic.

However, recently I've been working night shifts and now my instructor has alternating shifts so training has been harder to attend. I just discovered a nearby Kyokushin school that is actually led by a friend of my instructor that could give me more training opportunities.

I definitely don't plan on jumping ship, as I would definitely still train under my current instructor, but I'm interested to see what you as an instructor would think of a student like this. One who trains in your style as your student, but then also trains in the same style under a friend of yours as well (though a different organization). I don't want to offend either one but I don't want to hold back my MA training either.

Thoughts, comments?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Talk to him. Believe me we are more understanding then you will think. You really arent jumping ship but where your schedules are starting to conflict and training in a garage ( i know this from experience ) can only go so far. I am sure he will understand.

Just make sure you explain yourself fully. Heck he might even follow you.

I don't foresee any issue at all. It's a scheduling issue, more training is always better, a secure instructor won't have a problem. Just let him know what you're doing and why.

As to training out of garage, or any non-traditional venue taking you only so far, that's true if you're striving to compete at high levels. Not due to anything you can't do, but largely because you need more time than these facilities can usually give you and a wider range of sparring opportunities.

I've actually had some of the best training experiences of my life training out of well stocked home workout facilities. My basement now serves very well. The key is personnel and equipment. If you've got both, you're golden. Usually, the only problem after that is time. Depending on your goals this can be a problem, granted. Otherwise, it's mainly a training experience determined by the quality of instructor and other students.

Nothing ventured is nothing gained. I, too, don't forsee any problems from what you've described/explained. As most have already said...talk to your current instructor and let him know what's going on. A mature instructor won't have a problem with this in any shape, way, and/or form, imho!

Good luck!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I would sit down and talk with him, like the others have mentioned. He should understand, and if things get back to normal, then you two would be able to continue together.

• 2 months later...

How did it work out?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 1 month later...
Its easy get the two instructors to fight each other and who ever wins you train with!

....... I am only joking, breath deeply before replying. I am sure he will understand I would.

:lol: Good one.