• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

change leading side during sparring?

Like Bushido mentioned. Its how the fighter is setting up themselves.

When I fight, my stance is relaxed but in a defense/offense manner. I never try to expose my back in such a way I cant defend also.

My stance is a bit wider but not too wide where I cant distribute my weight in a instance, always facing front. I use to have pictures of me sparring but since Ive gotten new computers I lost em in the data transfer so will have to take pictures again to show my stance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sperki, you asked about target areas from an open stance. Bushido man is very correct in his assessment based on what your goals of sparring are. If you're constrained by specific areas, then an open stance, which tends to lend itself to more side postures, seem better.

However, from a sd context, you tend to leave the kidneys (as you mentioned) open for attack, the spine (bad), and the lead knee (easily stomped). Additionally, it tends to be easier for an opponent to sweep the leg, or destabilize in some why, that lead leg. This can also mean a less defensible posture from which to counter takedown efforts.

Of course, that's not the only way to assess what you're doing. It's just what comes to my mind. It's no more or less valid than anyone else's based on their goals.

From the open posture as well, you're often limited to your lead side weapons for a majority of contact. This is true for both parties, I'll grant. But if no one is scoring good hits with their heavier weapons the fight will start to drag out. This means there is more that can go wrong and more chance he'll get that "punchers chance" shot in.

I'll grant, as well, that in competitive sparring, it can set up attacks via surprise. However, most street confrontations crash together quickly and leave little, if any time for complex foot work patterns. This is why I prefer the gross motor function of a single stance. It's easier for the body to default to a single natural posture than move back and forth in conflict.

Just some of the tactical concerns that I'd have.