• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Super Style

A million people have tried this and come up with their own Aikikenburyudojutsu-type art, then named themselves the 10th dan grandmaster. This is the wrong way to go about it.

You can't just take martial arts like legos and stick them together. All you get is a sloppy rip-off of other styles. Focus should be on philosophy. What is your art's aim? Neutralization? Death? Injury to the point of escape? Sport, maybe?

I would make an art that uses circling footwork to slide into the enemy and knock them back, incorporating heavy, momentum-based strikes and checks alongside the counters and throws.

If you simply must classify it as something or other, think of it as a mix between Bagua and Xingyi. There. Happy?

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all comes down to the basic philosophy. Someone who uses martial arts in serious situations will usually have to maim or kill the enemy. This person will create a hard, physical style. Someone who uses martial arts in a civilized lifestyle will not have the option of badly hurting his opponent. This person will create a soft, force-redirecting style.

The hard style will have smashing blocks, hard lunges, and strong thrust kicks to utterly destroy the enemy. These attacks will go to the large, crushable regions of the body such as the chest, head, and abdomen.

The soft style will have redirecting blocks, momentum-based strikes, and disbalancing sweeps/throws, to immbolize or temporarily stun the enemy. These attacks will go to sensitive areas and pressure points.

These attacks come from the philosophy of a style, hard fighting art, or soft defense art, for example. You can't take the sweeps of the soft style and mix them with the lunges of the hard style, or the smashing blocks of the hard style and the throws of the soft style. This will only result in inconsistency, and an inability to fight naturally.

Find what works, stick with it. Understanding, not analysis, is the core of martial arts.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

well i wouldn't say you couldn't take a hard style and put it with with a soft style. Wing Chun is considered a balanc between hard styles and soft styles. I think people must first learn to grasp the concept of one martial art and than maybe eventually incorporate slowly other techniques. A martial art developes with the person and vice versa if a person tries to do every thing at once he eventually breaks down. Do one step at a time. Learn the weaknesses and strengths of one and maybe than you can incorporate your own idealology into the art.

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

the so-called eclectic martial arts have been around for a very long time and they all seem to incorporate a little bit of everything into their system. Many of you have hit it on the head by saying you get a very watered down version of nothing. I don't see a problem with adding some grappling and joint manipulation to a striking system, but I think you need to stick to what your "main" style is based upon, if it means striking then striking, throwing then throw, just get yourself focused on what you want to accomplish and get very good at it. Don't think that the "pure" styles are not good because they don't contain a certain type of fighting.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I agree seacher. All martial art styles are complete in all ways. They train you to deal with everything, but perhaps like Aikido not to kickk with the power of a horse. But to dispose of it. All systems are complete at there highest levels. To simply water them down into some sort of mutated Hybird mongral art to a farce on the great men and woman that created them.

Train Well at one martial art, learn understand it in its entirity.

I thought about this a bit, then realized I just couldn't do it. Not sure if its really possible to have the "ultimate" art. A good once, but nothing is perfect.

There has already been an attempt to create the "ultimate" martial art, by combining the best of everything. It was done by General Choi and is called Tae Kwon Do.

If you disagree with the General's interpretation, well, then you see how difficult a task this really is...

The only art that's ever really made this claim inherently is Tai Chi Chuan - good ol' "Grand Ultimate Fist" :smile:

KarateForums.com - Sempai