nooob

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all depends heavily on the school, not just the style. I can tell you to stay away from Kyokushin and its offshoots if you want to avoid sparring. I would say though, that you can't avoid kumite altogether. If you're that worried, contact the different dojo in your area and inquire.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

You must have a personal reason(s) as to why you'd want to avoid sparring. This, imho, will depend on both the style as well as the Dojo.

To not spar is like having a two-legged stool; very unstable. In that, most traditional Karate is based upon the three K's. Kihon (basics), Kata (forms), and Kumite (sparring). One must have all of the K's, not just one or two; there can be no exception.

One must engage in sparring as much as there are stars in heaven; unlimitless, without an end. If one wants to learn how to effectively defend oneself, then sparring is paramount.

Sparring is like a rose! While a rose is bueatiful, its incomplete without its thorns. These thorns serve a vital purpose. Take away the thorns, then the rose becomes helpless; defenseless. While a rose is bueatiful to smell and to behold, its not a harmless plant. This becomes very evident from the first time that one of its thorns pricks ones finger; never judge anything by its outwardly appearance.

Spar without end! Embrace sparring and it will embrace you back!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well, proper training will help you be less prone to injury. Also, remember that instructors will not put you into a situation you can't handle. They won't intentionally try to get you hurt. I wouldn't worry about sparring if you have a good instructor.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Although I don't hold to sensei8's strictness of adhering to the three K's of Karate, I do think that if you are going to participate in any kind of Martial Arts practice, then sparring at some level is going to be important in your advancement.

You'd be surprised; your body is probably more resilient than you think. If you should ever have to defend yourself, you can bet that the attacker is trying to hurt you, so it is best to be exposed to some kind of sparring to prepare for this. You can do basics and katas all day long, but they don't prepare you for the action/interaction of self-defense, whereas sparring is a step in the right direction to achieving this.

Kumite can mean many things. There are many schools, especially traditional schools, that do not do free fighting. That means that everything is a pre-arranged sequence. Usually one or three step kumite is the set up in those schools. The easiest thing you can do is pick up a phone book and start calling the area schools. Visit them and see which one you like best.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I want to learn traditional karate. I really only want to learn kata. Are there any traditional karate styles with little or no kumite - just kata?

Have you ever considered Tai Chi? It encourages you to be maintain balance while performing a flow of martial art movements that are done slowly and precisely. There are martial art applications to Tai Chi, but that depends on whether you have an interest in applications. There's no sparring, although you can work with a partner, once you've got the basic form down, on a two-man form. This is orchestrated, so that you can see the martial art applications without sparring at all.

There are different styles of Tai Chi, but you might simply try whatever your local school offers to see how you like it.

Why not give it a try? You can always give it a month or two as a start and then take it from there if you'd like to continue.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

You could try Shotokai.

They are a traditional Shotokan group who prefer to keep more in line with Funakoshi's principles of "not" sparring (or at least not in the competitive sense).

https://www.shotokai.org

But to back up what the others have said, sparing is important to your Karate, it doesn't need to be scary and actually is quite a lot of fun.

Remember also you won't be thrown straight into it. A good school will provide you with the building blocks with which you can confidently start to spar (and then only in a very carefully controlled environment).

When you are up and running with it sure, maybe from time to time you may take a bit of a knock (I have taken more than my share :( ) but they are usually no more than you would expect if you played a sport like football (or soccer as it is sometimes incorrectly referred to as by our North American friends ;)).

Point is - it helps you keep focussed on the reason why you are practicing Karate (as opposed to dancing), and in a word (as my sensei says) that’s “Intent”.

I can’t remember whether it was on this board that a member had the following as a signature:

“Karate without kumite (sparring) is like swimming on sand”.

Either way, it’s right on the money as far as I can see.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk