• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are you a student of Wado?

wouldbemaster

I study Shinsei Wado-Ryu in Michigan USA.

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you part of the Renmei?

WNM

I used to be back in the 1990’s. Currently I’m with the Christian Black Belt Association, as well as the Ambassador Martial Arts Network, and the Kicks for Christ Federation.

As iron sharpens iron,

I used to be back in the 1990’s. Currently I’m with the Christian Black Belt Association, as well as the Ambassador Martial Arts Network, and the Kicks for Christ Federation.

Thanks for that Seija.

As far as Wado goes though, where do you get your guidance from now?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Thanks for that Seija.

WNM

UM….Please do not take this the wrong way, I mean no disrespect, but two things come to mind; 1) Why are you asking me these questions? And 2) You mentioned that you viewed my website, why didn’t you just read my bio if you are interested about me?? It is fairly detailed.

As iron sharpens iron,

Thanks for that Seija.

WNM

UM….Please do not take this the wrong way, I mean no disrespect, but two things come to mind; 1) Why are you asking me these questions? And 2) You mentioned that you viewed my website, why didn’t you just read my bio if you are interested about me?? It is fairly detailed.

No offence taken Seija, but in answer to your points raised:

1. I ask these questions because the thread is entitled "Are you a student of Wado". Most students have teachers, and I was wondering who yours was now in Wado.

2. I read the website you have detailed, but forgive me, there are a number of bios on there and I don't know which one is yours, as I dont know who you are. :)

As you know Wado has an ever increasing number of strands these days. This is not to imply that the quality of wado is deteriorating with these divisions, but personally I like to understand where a school has its origins (ie WIKF, JKF Wado-kai or Renmei).

When you said that you used to be a member of the Renmei, but were not any more, I wondered whether you were associated to, or taking instruction from one of the other groups. Thats all ;)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

Wa-No-Michi

I’m sorry sir; I’ve gotten a little “gun shy” over the years. With over 35 years of Martial Arts I have been on the wrong end of “Karate Politics” way too many times. I was with the U.S. Eastern Wado-Ryu Federation from 1985 -1997. Currently I am not affiliated with any Wado group. My instructor is Riedner Soke, the founder and Grandmaster of Shiho-Karano-Ryu. Our style is Wado in our curriculum requirements but is greatly influenced by the other styles that I’m ranked in. Although we train the Kihon Gumite, Ohyo Gumite, Kumite Gata, Idori, Tanto Dori, Tachi dori, Kisokata, Sanbon kumite, throws and kata of the Wado system, many Wado purists would not consider us true Wado as my instructor is from another system and that system has had an influence on the way we do things. Of course, Shiho-Karano and Wado are very similar in many ways.

As to the bios on my site, I’m the head instructor.

As iron sharpens iron,

Wa-No-Michi

I’m sorry sir; I’ve gotten a little “gun shy” over the years. With over 35 years of Martial Arts I have been on the wrong end of “Karate Politics” way too many times. I was with the U.S. Eastern Wado-Ryu Federation from 1985 -1997. Currently I am not affiliated with any Wado group. My instructor is Riedner Soke, the founder and Grandmaster of Shiho-Karano-Ryu. Our style is Wado in our curriculum requirements but is greatly influenced by the other styles that I’m ranked in. Although we train the Kihon Gumite, Ohyo Gumite, Kumite Gata, Idori, Tanto Dori, Tachi dori, Kisokata, Sanbon kumite, throws and kata of the Wado system, many Wado purists would not consider us true Wado as my instructor is from another system and that system has had an influence on the way we do things. Of course, Shiho-Karano and Wado are very similar in many ways.

As to the bios on my site, I’m the head instructor.

No sweat, sorry if I came over a bit rude.

many Wado purists would not consider us true Wado

Well, I think I would struggle to define what "Purist" wado meant anyway tbh ;).

For example, is it "purist Wado" to teach the likes of Tanto-dori and Shinken-shirai-dori (aka Tachi-dori) when Otsuka himself never "formally" taught this to anyone (as far as I am aware)?

WNM

• 3 weeks later...

I am a student of Wado Ryu and I am in Toronto Ontario Canada. I take it at the North York YMCA. And I love it.

http://www.wadoryu.ca/

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

I am a student of Wado Ryu and I am in Toronto Ontario Canada. I take it at the North York YMCA. And I love it.

http://www.wadoryu.ca/

Hi nanook660,

Good to see another Wadoka on board.

Checked out your web site a saw a familar face there - Mr Shiomitsu. If you haven't already trained with him, do so!! He is quite a legend. Very nice man as well.

Onegaishimasu!

WNM