wouldbemaster

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards your comments of Jujitsu as in wado jujitsu I agree that the focus on jujitsu without the background knowledge needed can lead to a watering down of the karate. There are only so many hours in the day etc. Having said that it is important to recognise the jujitsu principles that distiguish wado from other karate styles. You will not that I did not use jujitsu in my early post but instead just jitsu as in 'martial' when talking about practical martial application of wado rather than sport.

Hi Brian, I spotted the Jitsu as opposed to Jujutsu. My comments were as a result of one of the earlier names of Wado.

Reference the Jutsu vs Do point, I think it has become rather oversimplified by us here in the west, to imply that if something has the tag of "Jutsu" rather than "do" it is somehow more functional in its practical application ie:

Jutsu = Method, Science or Art

Do = Way, Path or Philosophy

The latter conjurs up the suggestion that "self improvement" and the sporting arena are perhaps more paramount to practical martial application.

The whole area however is quite a moot point and to some the terms are interchangeable. You also have to take into account the age when many of the new Do's were named in Japan; Judo, Kendo and eventually Karate -do and how this intertwined with the level of feeling of Japanese nationalism at the time.

Do had/has different connotations to Jutsu and this was politically quite important in the day - in order for the artform to succeed.

Dispite this, good Wado Karate when trained correctly under a knowledegeable Instructor (irespective as to whether it is labelled do or Jutsu), is fully functional in all respects - Practical - Self Improvement - and Sport.

Otsukas' Wado is a complete art in this respect.

This is an excellent article by Tim Shaw on Wado Ryu and Japanese Budo, in which he has a section where he explains the Jutsu vs Do relationship.

https://www.wadoryu.org.uk/budo.html

Its a really good read, I think you will enjoy it.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I study JKF Wadokai in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Should be testing for 5th kyu soon. Obviously I'm not very experienced in Wado but I have trained other styles (Filipino, Thai & Chinese) for years and I love what I have found in Wado.

I study JKF Wadokai in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Should be testing for 5th kyu soon. Obviously I'm not very experienced in Wado but I have trained other styles (Filipino, Thai & Chinese) for years and I love what I have found in Wado.

Do you train with Mike Spain?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

Thank you again for the display of your superior knowledge of the japanese language. For me the path of wa is in the name wado and the martial technical application is in the jitsu.

Whilst the finite meaning of the words can mean different things to different people and cultures but this meaning is what defines my training principles.

Hopefully my lack of pure understanding of Japanese has not had too adverse on my martial path or ability.

Thank you again for the display of your superior knowledge of the japanese language. For me the path of wa is in the name wado and the martial technical application is in the jitsu.

Whilst the finite meaning of the words can mean different things to different people and cultures but this meaning is what defines my training principles.

Hopefully my lack of pure understanding of Japanese has not had too adverse on my martial path or ability.

Hi wouldbemaster,

My guess is that my knowledge of the Japanese language is no better than yours.

And it sounds to me like you have just as good a handle on your Wado training as I do.

Anyway, it’s all words at the end of the day imo when really, what counts is action... how you move and how your training develops your martial brain.

It is my understanding that this is why the practice of Wado katas differ (in terms of purpose) to their okinawan ancestors - as they are primarily practiced to develop correct principles of movement over and above the process of bunkai.

I kinda think though that this can only work (be understood) if they are practiced in conjunction with appropriate pair work such as Kihon Kumite.

Outside of this, techniques are just that... techniques... tricks if you like, and for me that’s the good thing about Wado as at the end of the day when practiced correctly, it is a very simple blue print of principles.

That’s it for for me anyway in terms of where I am in my training.

Do you practice a lot of Kata in your group wouldbemaster? If so what ones and how.

WNM

I totally agree that kata provides a great base for getting principles and focusing your training and it is interesting to look at what the kata teach you in terms of movement and in particular stance transition and its impact on technique and power generation etc.

We do study kata for this very reason but more interested in quality rather than quantity so tend to stick to Pinan Nidan through to Wanshu not in the school of thought that knowing extra kata makes you a better martial artist.

Am interested in bunkai but not to the detrement of the real reason for kata within wado.

I wonder if you have tried generating your own kata. Given that kata is fundamentally a process to explain principles through a combined form a bit like explaining principles through movement and without speaking. Not kata as in kihon kumite but a full form. It was an interesting process that, whilst it did not produce a new Kushanku or Bassai did help to open my eyes wider to the potential meaning and principles of the kata's we study in wado. Providing people develop their kata with the projection and education of core principles in mind, leave their ego at home and once complete to forget your kata and focus with a new mind on the origional kata I highly recommend the process from a learning perspective.

It is principle that is important not individual technique. To train with a fixed technique for a fixed attack or situation just IMO get you hurt. Learn the principles and adapt your training to ensure you are free from the constraints of fixed techniques and you will be more flexible and adaptable should the time come, open your mind to the possibilities but never forget the path. Stick to the principles like good morals and don't lose yourself to the darkside.

Brian