• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate near Croydon, London

yondangirl

HI,

sorry for the general post, but I have just moved to London from Dublin and was looking for a good shotokan karate club, with a strong kumite focus. I am living in Croydon but work in central London so can anyone suggest a location?

regards,

YC

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi yondangirl, and welcome to the forum.

Reference Shotokan clubs in London area, this is not a bad place to start I guess.

https://www.jka-england.org/FindClub/Resources/JKAEnglandKarateClubSE.htm

Amount of Kumite probably varies from club to club, but they have a fair few listed as central lodon clubs.

On a side note, I know that Enoeda sensei was instrumental in setting up most of the early shotokan clubs here in the south east of the UK, and... Until very recently( before his death) continued to teach / grade regularly at them.

I am not a Shoto boy, but if you can hook up with a group with such a heritage I would say that would stand you in good stead.

Let us know how you get on.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Hi YC

I live in Croydon so the local clubs are:

There is a taekwondo club at the bottom end of Church street in a church hall next to the dule carrageway around the corner from Trams at the bottom end of the high street.

If you go into wallington 410, 407 or 157 bus from croydon bus station go to westcroft sports center on thursday and kykoshin karate class is on there from 7.15 until 9 (This is my club by the way)

If you move into sutton then opposite B and Q is a karate dojo that also does other styles but does have a shotokan class available.

After that you have to start moving into Cheam and Purley and there are clubs further on from there.

Hope that helps

Dave

Rule one of Sparring: Beware of anyone who grins the face of obvious oblivion.