• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just a quick self pat on the back and a chance to share with the group here. We went up to the midwest NAGA tourney this weekend and just got back.

I ended up taking 2nd in the men's 30-40 advanced division. First bout I won with a kimura after pulling guard and working for a bulk of the round. He actually stood up with me still in guard and I set the lock from there then kept it as we came back down.

Second bout was the championship bout. It went the distance and I lost by four points. We went back and forth but he was able to takedown and secure a side mount and get 4. I got back to half guard but spent too much time there without advancing my game. By the time I got to guard I was down to a minute and just couldn't get a string to land.

Both guys were good and both bout difficult in their own way. The guy I lost to was a seriously good grappler. It was a pleasure to be on the mat with a guy that smooth.

Still I was real happy with the outcome. After cutting from 170ish to 154, I was happy that it paid off. I'm sure gonna cut back down if I do it again.

One of my guys fought in the beginners 30-40 in the 170-179. He did well. Lost his first match, but it was his first time in the NAGA. He went the distance and lost by 2 on a rough scramble.

Anyway, I strongly recommend trying one of these if you're into the submission thing. I'd been to smaller ones and coached at the NAGA but it was my first time competing in one. Well run but a bunch of good guys.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks, pittbull. I concur, the rule set is very good.

It's really set up to favor and push submissions. You can't get by with takedown after takedown to score, or simply transitioning from position of control to position. It really rewards advancing your game in the direction of control and submission.

I think I'll do one as soon as the situation presents itself again. There's not another actual NAGA in the midwest until later in the year, and even it's a good drive from me. We'll see.

Certainly, I'd do one given the chance.