• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

spinning heel kick

Anybody out there have trouble with spinning heel kicks? I usually end up either with the strike to one side or I strike with the side of my foot instead of the heel. I KNOW, practice makes perfect, but any suggestions as to execution might be useful. Jump spinning heel kicks are quite annoying to. the rotation, I have. But the kick usually throws me off or strike with the side of the foot.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If I am imagining it correctly, if you are striking with the side of your foot then your hip position is incorrect. If you face your hips forward on your kick, it will turn into more of a crescent kick, where your foot is up and down. Make sure your hips and shoulders are facing to the side, and open your hips so that your foot is parallel to the ground.

If I am imagining it incorrectly, then perhaps a more detailed explanation of what exactly you are doing will better help me help you.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I think you may be trying to sweep through the kick too much. If you're not chambering your kick at any point in the rotation, almost like a sidekick chamber, you may be simply trying to swing your leg through. This would cause a premature kick, or it as you described turn your kick into a wheel kick, which is basically a spinning crescent kick. The wheel kick is a precursor to the spinning hook kick. So, you're doing a technique, just not the one you want to do.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

It is all in the chamber and the position of the hips. I tell my students that this kick is a combination of side kick and turning kick-chamber and kick like the side kick(aiming just to the side of the target) and then recoil the leg (and hip) just like a turning kick. The change in momentum whips the foot through the target, and the finish of the kick should look just like a turning kick. Clear as mud?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I know the technique just isn't right for what I'm trying to accomplish. Any spinning kick is difficult at best for me to master. But for not being on to long, I think I'm doing pretty well. Thank you for your in put. I will try to put it to use.

Thanks

From what you've described I would go with the hip position too. Rateh's advice is good. Just make sure you don't over spin and end up forward facing with your hips when doing the kick. You want to keep side on to get the foot position and angle correct but also to keep the body out of the way when striking someone. To be honest I wouldn't bother with the jumping version until you can do the standing version ok; you have to walk before you run :D.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Aye aye, stay on the ground, for now.

In my school, the spin heel kick and the spin hook kick are two different kicks, the spin heel version being a straight-legged kick. Its important to not let the kick have to much arc, though, or you just drag it around. Its still a fairly tight kick.

Try this: set up 2 folding chairs, back to back, maybe 2 feet apart. Now, lean on a wall for balance, and hold your leg out in a side kick position over one of the chairs. The difference here is that the base leg foot isn't at a 180 degree angle (point back at the wall); it should be at 90 degrees. Now, with your leg over the first chair, keep it straight and pull it over the second chair. Keep going back and forth, holding the body in that side kick position, and building that leg muscle.

• 1 month later...

Have gotten better with spinning heel kick. What you describe '96 sounds like just what I need to help me bring my side kick higher. I can kick about mid chest with not much problem. Any higher and it gets harder to kick and sloppy. Thanks for the help.

Have gotten better with spinning heel kick. What you describe '96 sounds like just what I need to help me bring my side kick higher. I can kick about mid chest with not much problem. Any higher and it gets harder to kick and sloppy. Thanks for the help.

As you get higher be careful not to hyper-extend your supporting leg....a common problem that can effect balance and create undue stress on the knee. Focusing on using the ball of the foot as your pivot point can help. It also helps to think about reaching towards your target with your foot as you execute the kick-a mental exercise that helps to keep your hips over your base instead of shifting backwards and changing your balance point.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/