• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kiai.... LOUDER!!!

Grand post, Blade96. I often tell my students ot think of something they maybe afraid of, like spiders, snakes, etc. And then Kiai so loud that their voice would travel in hard sound waves. I tell them to imagine these sound waves moving to push away whatever fears them.

thanks a lot =] ....know all my stuff so nothing fears me now....I also think that it helps that I know alll the people in the dojo now and they are all very supportive plus I'm close to and very fond of both of our senseis and they are very fond of me so I don't have to feel so self - conscious now. A supportive group around me like we are a family was very helpful to me. (well a club of people in a dojo is a family.) So having friends/allies in the club really helped me too.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand post, Blade96. I often tell my students ot think of something they maybe afraid of, like spiders, snakes, etc. And then Kiai so loud that their voice would travel in hard sound waves. I tell them to imagine these sound waves moving to push away whatever fears them.

thanks a lot =] ....know all my stuff so nothing fears me now....I also think that it helps that I know alll the people in the dojo now and they are all very supportive plus I'm close to and very fond of both of our senseis and they are very fond of me so I don't have to feel so self - conscious now. A supportive group around me like we are a family was very helpful to me. (well a club of people in a dojo is a family.) So having friends/allies in the club really helped me too.

One of my teachers used to step on our toes in order to scream louder.

For my child class, I have a large gong. I tell them, if they desire to strike the gong, they have to KIai louder than it.

No child has evered failed before the gong, as they all desire to strike it.

One of my teachers used to step on our toes in order to scream louder.

For my child class, I have a large gong. I tell them, if they desire to strike the gong, they have to KIai louder than it.

No child has evered failed before the gong, as they all desire to strike it.

no.....? really? did that hurt? I never heard of a teacher actually stepping on someone.....?

The gong thing is cute, I have little cousins and soon gonna be an aunt and I know little kids love stuff that's noisy hehe i think i'm gonna go buy me some ear plugs when my bro visits with his daughter lol

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

No, he didnt step on the toes with force. He kinda sneaked up on people, and then we kinda expected it, thus we would make sure to KIai loud, so we wouldnt be embarressed to be steped on, It was a iissue to either choose being embarassed by Kiai or foot step.

Ear plugs.. I forgot the moms would start to bring these in and wear.

Those kids and the gong was noisy. And they loved it.

The gong was 4ft in diameter on a huge stand. Nothing like anyone has ever seend, except some type of movies.

It sparked alot of curiousity and motivation.

Edited by RichardZ

No, he didnt step on the toes with force. He kinda sneaked up on people, and then we kina expected it, thus we would make sure to KIai loud, so we wouldnt be embarressed to be steped on, It was a iissue to either choose being embarassed by Kiai or foot step.

Ear plugs.. I forgot the moms would start to bring these in and wear.

Those kids and the gong was noisy. And they loved it.

The gong was 4ft in diameter on a huge stand. Nothing like anyone has ever seend, except some type of movies.

It sparked alot of curiousity and motivation.

Phew =] that's good to hear.

the kids and the gong - which martial art is that in? btw I'm glad that worked.

can Kiai now. I think the one with the littlest Kiai is the third white belt who trains with us (altogether there are 3 of us little white belts) But we can hear his Kiai so all of us kiai - just some of us more than others.

i'm glad with us there is no foot step. The sensei and sempais said kiai is required for our Kata, but they kind of let you go at your own pace and they don't pressure you into Kiai'ing. what they did say is that its required and that if we want to pass our tests we have to learn to Kiai. But that was good for us because they test about every4 or 5 months and sometimes they wait longer if sensei thinks you're not ready. We have time to go at our own pace. And that helps too.

The pressure for Kiai, was to make sure we had confidence and were not shy to perform.

I guess the basis was if one was to study a martial art, then one should dispell any common type of inner fear.

Decades ago, I actually stumbled upon the gong, among other collectibles, while helping a friend clean, organize a huge storage warehouse that his family owned.

There were so much stuff in there, even crated, when I saw the first Raiders-Indiana Jones movie, the ending scene with the warehouse with crates and the Ark, this reminded me of this family.

This was a large, wealthy, political family, which owned the warehouse for the entire family.

I didnt want pay for helping, I wanted stuff in there. I earned a lot of crazy and out of norm stuff from there.

Edited by RichardZ

The pressure for Kiai, was to make sure we had confidence and were not shy to perform.

I guess the basis was if one was to study a martial art, then one should dispell any common type of inner fear.

Decades ago, I actually stumbled upon the gong, among other collectibles, while helping a friend clean, organize a huge storage warehouse that his family owned.

There were so much stuff in there, even crated, when I saw the first Raiders-Indiana Jones movie, the ending scene with the warehouse with crates and the Ark, this reminded me of this family.

This was a large, wealthy, political family, which owned the warehouse for the entire family.

I didnt want pay for helping, I wanted stuff in there. I earned a lot of crazy and out of norm stuff from there.

Of course I had to clean and polish it

Nice pic. :)

ther used that same warehouse i believe it was, for kingdom of the crystal skull too.

dispelling the fear, that makes total sense since MA is, I learned, a transformation of the self and an enhancement. and the Kiai helps with that.

Now, I've even gotten so that I actually like to kiai. And I feel weird if I don't! =]

• 3 months later...

I have had the same problems many of times... the sudent needs to feel more comfortable.... as the folks above stated shes probably just shy... keep working with her and teach her waear the kiais are in the technique... let her say the word 'kiai' where she should be... this will help teacher where kiais go.... when she's ready she will..... just be patient.

Many of us in the martial arts are quite familar with Bruce Lee's unique cat-like kiai's. If not, watch Enter The Dragon.

Bruce's kiai's were unique, but, Bruce didn't use his distinctive and unique kiai away from the silver screen.

Questions:

A student of your's was mimicing or wants to copy Bruce's unique battle cry kiai, would you allow or deny it's use?

Do you think that Bruce's cat-like kial's served/accomplished the intended purpose(s) of the kiai?

Your thoughts?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!