• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kiai.... LOUDER!!!

Others have mentioned "forceful exhalations" in place of kiai/kihap. I think that if you can get the student to start out with doing just forceful exhalations, then you might be on the road to gaining a full yell. After all, its the same thing, one is just more audible.

We almost exclusively do this. Very rarely do we kiai and its not a big deal in our style. We kihap in sparring drills etc. to signify you're ready but other than that its all just breath...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, that's quite a contrast to the WTF in that they tend to scream every time a technique is thrown, especially in sparring.

In our school, we kihap a lot during basics. Sometimes, I'd rather not, but oh well.

I hate doing it. The uni club I sometimes go to does it and I just feel so uncomfortable and for me it doesn't add anything more than the breathing does.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Maybe you could try giving her a homework assignment to practice kiahing while looking in the mirror. For me that was as intimidating as kiahing in front of others, except if you sound stupid only you know. Once she gets comfortable kiahing to just herself, perhaps she will start becoming comfortable kiahing in front of other people.

Or perhaps you could have the class kiah to the tunes of songs (not in basics or anything, just kiahing), thus making it a silly game and help her get past the nurves that may be holding her back.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

well i've been having trouble with this one girl in class. everyclass when we do anything, she has a very very veeerrrry soft kiai where you can barely hear it. whenever we do kata, we can't get past the first move because my shihan wants me to start over and over again until she kiais loud enough.... but she never does. any suggestions?

How about asking your shihan to get over his need to hear a loud kiai?

No disrespect intended.

You need to look at the reason behind her soft kiai. If its because of social shyness then she needs help to get over that. On the other hand if thats her natural manifestation of a kiai then leave it be.

How about asking your shihan to get over his need to hear a loud kiai?

No disrespect intended.

Good luck with that! "No disrespect intended"...as long as respect is afforded to the conversation and each other! Just because someone is a shihan and the like, it doesn't mean that this person is mature enough to handle such a comment [How about asking your shihan to get over his need to hear a loud kiai?]!!

Nonethelessl, I wouldn't be surprised if the shihan quoted an over-stated..."Shut-up and just train" comment!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just updating a little bit, she's starting to progress, her kiai has gotten a little louder... but it's not loud enough. and to say to tell him to forget about the kiai... i would probably be thrown out of the school :)... he stresses soooooooooooooo much about it! he gives whole classes pushups if he thinks kiais are not loud enough! but it's all in good intentions. he tells us that it helps land everything at the same time, gives good power, and... is sometime's provacative, causing... fear :) the biggest improvement i've seen in her was during one of our random snowcone days during the summer... so i guess she needs a little motivation.. but we can't bring out the snowcone machine every week or.... you know... we'll have a bunch of chubsters walking around :)

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

We also have children, and some adults whose Kiai's are little more than a whisper, it's almost like they don't have( for lack of a better term ) the fighting spirit, or it seems like they are just not into it.

Semper Fi , Dave