• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frank Van Lenten

quinteros1963

I hear that he did a seminar a few weeks ago in the Cuse.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the privaledge to train with Hanshi Van Lenten from about 1980 to 1989 in Niceville Fl. He was a great teacher. It was definately a blessing to have had the oppertunity to train in a true traditional school....It was as close to training in Okinawa as you could get. I have not seen him for 20 years, since he moved back north. I would love to catch up with him. I'll answer any questions I can about him...I don't know that I'll have the information you're looking for...just have my experience training under him.

Van Lenten Scribe,

Is there a way I can contact you? I tried a PM, but I don't have enough posts to do so. I would really like to catch up with Hanshi FVL over the phone. If there is anyway that I can contact you privately in order to exchange numbers...that would be great. I'm not really comfortable posting any private info on here...no offense to anyone else on this thread!

Thanks in advance....

• 4 months later...

^^^

I just got the news from my Shihan about an hour ago. I can't believe it. He evaluated my kata a week ago and he and my shihan were talking about opening a dojo together(he and my shihan are very good friends as I assume most of his students were.) A am honored to have met him 3-4 or times and it was an honor for him to take the time to evaluate my kata. He will be greatly missed but will not be forgotten.

RIP Grand-Master Frank Van Lenten

I am saddened to hear the news about Shihan Van Lenten. I have made a few feeble attempts to contact him over the past year or so, but never was successful. Does anyone have any further information about what happened? I realize he was getting up there in his years, but I would greatly appreciate any further details.

I can't believe it. I just saw him June 25th at a seminar with my Shihan. He promoted me to nidan. I'm grateful for all the times I got to work with him, he was a true karateka and loved Goju. He will be missed.

-Ryan Payne

“Studying karate nowadays is like walking in the dark without a lantern.” Chojun Miyagi (attributed)

https://www.lanterndojo.com/

https://karatenobody.blogspot.com/

It was announced today that Grand Master Van Lenten had passed away on July 1st, 2010.

To those here at KF and across the world who's live was touched in one way or another by GM Van Lenten, I'm so sorry to hear about his passing. From one martial artist to another, I deeply bow to GM Van Lenten!

:(

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It is a sad time for the members of the Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-Do Goshinkai (Master Van Lenten's association), His students considered him not just an instructor, but more of a father figure and their students felt he was a grandfather. Master Van Lenten traveled to Upstate New York a week before he passed and we were privileged to be able to spend some time with him. He always inspired me to train harder and expect more from my students. He will be missed, but his memory and teachings will live on.

His students considered him not just an instructor, but more of a father figure and their students felt he was a grandfather.

For sure. I never had the chance to meet him, but my instructor spoke of him often and highly. He was a true master of Okinawan Karate. I am thankful to come in contact with his teachings. May he rest in peace.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!