• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay; so what type of foot movement is problematic for you? I've been contemplating introducing the wife-to-be to aikido or judo because she has trouble with bending her foot, and those have high stances that seem like they would put less strain on them. I've yet to work out how to avoid maiming her with the stances and footwork in mine.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

JusticeZero, I don't have to move it at all for it to hurt. Simply standing on it aggravates it. There is a spot in the back of my heel that is very tender to the touch. The rest of the foot aches just about all the time, even when I'm not standing on it. Like I said, the orthodics have helped, because they hold my foot in place so that it's not aggravated as much. Doing stances barefoot and also running make it worse. I would love to train in jiu jitsu or some other ground style to avoid the problems with my foot, but the closet schools are over an hour drive one way.

So putting a load on the foot hurts, but what you do with it to cause the load is immaterial?

Personally i'd ask if there was any way to train in shoes, even if they are special mat shoes. I can't wear any footwear more specialized than "a shoe" for different reasons, and my art trains in street shoes in any case, but there are specialized martial arts shoes out there; they would probably hold your foot together.

Otherwise, many arts do train while wearing shoes. The last few kung fu classes I remember visiting did. We do. I don't know what other arts do or do not.

I don't think you are a quitter from what you have written.

Opposite actually, as you were forced to stop through injury, but tried to come back but it was maybe too soon - but that shows commitment and tenacity on your part.

So I don’t think that should be your block.

I'd worry more about the fact the school is under "new management" - as it may not be the same school you left.

Have a play... remember you are the consumer in this contract - get what is best for you and don't worry about what you think they may think about you.

As to whether you want to commit, well only you can answer that.

Best of luck :)

WNM

I agree with WNM here. Don't worry about your detractors, or what they might think. It is your journey to take, so do it your way. Check back with the school, and if it has changed, then look around other areas, and see what is available.

Best of luck to you! :karate:

Justice, don't you spend a lot of time on your hands in Capoeira? Maybe that's the way to go if you have foot problems....

Although, really Eagle, I think everybody else here is right on; you've got nothing to lose by trying your ma again, but everything to lose by just wishing you had.

Good Luck!

Justice, don't you spend a lot of time on your hands in Capoeira?

We use them as auxiliary feet. We spend most of our time in a deep stance transition with bent ball of the foot. We don't just stand around in bananeira all day; it's not a particularly great position to attack and defend from, just one we pass through moderately often.

• 4 weeks later...

Karate is not practiced in a dojo. It is LEARNED in a dojo. You don't need a dojo to practice what you have. I say start at home practicing what you have. It might not be perfect, and you may not have a sensei looking over you making sure every move is perfect, but who cares? It

s the journey that matters, and this could be the restart of yours. I know people make excuses, like they need to be in a dojo to practice martial arts. However, that's defeating the point of discipline. Try it out. Practice what you have. Get back into the flow. THEN, if it is still something you can do, go back to the dojo and check it out.