• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm having a mental dilemma, and I thought that it might help to put it in words and maybe get some input from others.

I'll start by giving a little history about myself. I've always been involved in athletics and enjoy competing against others and challenging myself. I particularly enjoy wrestling and other combative disciplines. I was a decent wrestler in high school, but I never pursued wrestling in college, for which I greatly regret.

Five years ago, a co-worker suggested that I come over to his karate school to see what it has to offer. So, I did and I loved it. The class was physically and mentally demanding, which was great for me. The instructors were strict, but patient and understanding at the same time. I didn't particularly care for the katas we had to learn, but I was willing to take on a new challenge. I was expecially sold on the school when I found out that they had a grappling component to their curriculum.

I attended the school for several months and was close to my first belt test when I stopped attending because of a foot injury. A year later, I returned despite still having the injury. I struggled through classes for a few weeks and decided that I needed to get my foot better before I continued with my training. So, I "retired" AGAIN!

Now, 3 years later, my foot is better, not 100% but better, and I'm considering my return to the school. At age 35, I still have the drive to be involved in some type of martial art. I've coached wrestling for about 6 years, but I still feel like there's a void in my life, and if I don't pursue my desire now, I'll regret it when I'm older.

The problem I have is that I'm very torn as to whether I should continue to pursue this. There are several excuses not to do it that my brain keeps coming up with ("You'll aggravate your foot even more," "The drive is to and from the school is too long," "It'll take time away from your wife and kids," "The school is under new management and probably isn't the same as before," "You already have too much on your plate.") I'm not generally an excuse maker, but I've found that my priorities have to change as I get older.

I guess my biggest fear is that I'll return to the school and discover that it's not practical for me to continue. I don't want to have to quit again and be perceived as a "triple quitter," expecially in my own mind.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get this out.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think you are a quitter from what you have written.

Opposite actually, as you were forced to stop through injury, but tried to come back but it was maybe too soon - but that shows commitment and tenacity on your part.

So I don’t think that should be your block.

I'd worry more about the fact the school is under "new management" - as it may not be the same school you left.

Have a play... remember you are the consumer in this contract - get what is best for you and don't worry about what you think they may think about you.

As to whether you want to commit, well only you can answer that.

Best of luck :)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Now, 3 years later, my foot is better, not 100% but better, and I'm considering my return to the school. At age 35, I still have the drive to be involved in some type of martial art. I've coached wrestling for about 6 years, but I still feel like there's a void in my life, and if I don't pursue my desire now, I'll regret it when I'm older.

Go for it. :nod:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Go for it. :nod:

Well go for it yes, but do your "due diligence" first; otherwise you could be throwing good money (and time) after bad if you are not careful.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

i would go and watch a class or 2 before committing yourself. As you stated it is under new management and may not be the same as before.

For example my old dojo is under new management and they teach a whole different style as to what I was being taught before I left.

I also agree with JusticeZero shop around before committing again. :karate:

I'm having a mental dilemma, and I thought that it might help to put it in words and maybe get some input from others.

I'll start by giving a little history about myself. I've always been involved in athletics and enjoy competing against others and challenging myself. I particularly enjoy wrestling and other combative disciplines. I was a decent wrestler in high school, but I never pursued wrestling in college, for which I greatly regret.

Five years ago, a co-worker suggested that I come over to his karate school to see what it has to offer. So, I did and I loved it. The class was physically and mentally demanding, which was great for me. The instructors were strict, but patient and understanding at the same time. I didn't particularly care for the katas we had to learn, but I was willing to take on a new challenge. I was expecially sold on the school when I found out that they had a grappling component to their curriculum.

I attended the school for several months and was close to my first belt test when I stopped attending because of a foot injury. A year later, I returned despite still having the injury. I struggled through classes for a few weeks and decided that I needed to get my foot better before I continued with my training. So, I "retired" AGAIN!

The problem I have is that I'm very torn as to whether I should continue to pursue this. There are several excuses not to do it that my brain keeps coming up with ("You'll aggravate your foot even more," "The drive is to and from the school is too long," "It'll take time away from your wife and kids," "The school is under new management and probably isn't the same as before," "You already have too much on your plate.") I'm not generally an excuse maker, but I've found that my priorities have to change as I get older.

I guess my biggest fear is that I'll return to the school and discover that it's not practical for me to continue. I don't want to have to quit again and be perceived as a "triple quitter," expecially in my own mind.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get this out.

Eagle, what is the exact nature of your foot injury?

I'd agree with everyone who's chimed in. Check it out, see that it's still the same place you left and jump in. Well, at least start back up and ease into it. If it's changed and no longer what you're looking for, start checking out other places as well.

Start slow and work back into it. An injury is an injury, dropping out of training to deal with it is not only understandable but responsible. No worries on that front.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm still contemplating whether or not I'm going to get back into MA, but I will take all your advice to heart.

Otto, the last diagnosis of my foot (I've had several) is that I have a slight deformity in the back of my heel that seems to be aggravating my achilis tendon. I've been wearing orthodics in my shoes, which has helped. I don't think I'll ever be pain free, but the doctor said that surgery might not be the best choice.