do you double block??  

7 members have voted

1. 1. do you double block??

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The first style I studied was Greek Gojo Ryu. The very first technique we practiced was a block that had an "initial protector".

Ill try to illustrate - You're in a stance with your right foot back.

An attack is coming at your head from the left.

Before your left (forward) arm goes up to block, your right hand pushes across your body, palm facing the attack - immediately (less than a beat) followed by your left arm doing a hard block.

In effect, it was a double block. It didn't seem to take any longer than the arm blocking by itself would have because the pushing up of the hand is quicker than the "outside" block with the left arm.

This was forty years ago that I last did this as a form of practice, but I remember it well because it was the first thing I ever did in Martial Arts, and I have done it playing around on occasion ever since.

I am as far from a practitioner of classical Martial Arts as one can possibly get, and Greek Gojo was very classical, but I've always kind of liked this double block concept.

well lemme try to illustrate :)

koto ( i think that's the way to spell it) is fore arm and uke is block.

\| | -> \|_| -> | |/

yeah this is a relly bad illustration but in the first one, it shows that the two connected lines are already in the koto uke block position and the single line is in pull back. Step by step would be to put the pulled back fist to your other elbow and then twist up and across with that hand.

yeah that was a really bad description sorry :)

but tallgeese and montana are correct, we can use this move for a variety of things like trapping the arm, breaking it, just blocking, but i don't think "it would be used as a strike though...

Just thought I'd chime in here considering how many of you are interested now in using correct termonoligy etc., (which is nice because up till recently there seemed to be a reluctance to embrace it) ;), but -

"Koto" has several meanings in Japanese none of them have any relevance to what we are discussing here.

"Kote" as I say means wrist so it could be this.

"Ude" = Arm,

"Mae" = fore / before / infront (as in Maegeri= Front kick) so..

"Maeude" = forearm and...

"Maeude uke" = Forearm Block.

Have you seen any Youtube footage that comes even close to what you are describing.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

well lemme try to illustrate :)

koto ( i think that's the way to spell it) is fore arm and uke is block.

\| | -> \|_| -> | |/

yeah this is a relly bad illustration but in the first one, it shows that the two connected lines are already in the koto uke block position and the single line is in pull back. Step by step would be to put the pulled back fist to your other elbow and then twist up and across with that hand.

yeah that was a really bad description sorry :)

but tallgeese and montana are correct, we can use this move for a variety of things like trapping the arm, breaking it, just blocking, but i don't think "it would be used as a strike though...

Just thought I'd chime in here considering how many of you are interested now in using correct termonoligy etc., (which is nice because up till recently there seemed to be a reluctance to embrace it) ;), but -

"Koto" has several meanings in Japanese none of them have any relevance to what we are discussing here.

"Kote" as I say means wrist so it could be this.

"Ude" = Arm,

"Mae" = fore / before / infront (as in Maegeri= Front kick) so..

"Maeude" = forearm and...

"Maeude uke" = Forearm Block.

Have you seen any Youtube footage that comes even close to what you are describing.

WNM

well i know i said koto meant forearm, but my school uses koto as in like gauntlet block, because our "creator" of our style's, master sugihara, father taught aikido? i think, something with swords... but he took that block and added it to our style. so it doesn't literaly mean forearm, but like forearm armor or something.

and i'm talking about the main move in pinan sandan, you know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbjV_mFLTJw

but i don't like the way he does it :( it's way too high.

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

What is the main move? at what point in the vid on the counter for example.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

What is the main move? at what point in the vid on the counter for example.

WNM

the very first block

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!