• advertisement_alt

Double Blocking???

FushinRyu

do you double block??  

7 members have voted

1. 1. do you double block??

• yes
    • no

my style, fushin ryu, is a not very common form of karate. just recently i was watching katas on youtube because i was curious if any other style used the double blocking system. double blocking is like when you do kota uke, instead of sticking your arm up, you use your other arm as a "backup" in case your block isnt fast enough...

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry, my Japanese is weak, I'm not sure what that is.

The answer is sometimes, but not often. If there's a need, but not before. Any double blocking out of the system I study is actually more of a trapping series. I think it's more useful as a block, block against two attacks that are launched in close proximity. Two weapons to one is usually a losing proposition.

The exception, for me, is when a weapon is involved and it's threat outweighs all other threats. In that case, it's usually more of a parry, grab series that comes out with the effort to lock down two hands on the weapon hand for control.

I'm not sure I follow what your form of double blocking is. If you could elaborate a bit (in English technical terms ;)), I might be able to see what you are getting at.

Or even correct Japanese ;)

Maybe when you say Kota you mean "Kote" which mean the wrist in Japanese MA.

"Sasae uke" is sometimes used as a term to refer to a supported / augmented block.

Could be the schools way of describing a block that is re-inforced at the wrist by the other hand???

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

double blocking is . . . instead of sticking your arm up, you use your other arm as a "backup" in case your block isnt fast enough...

When I took GM Son's TKD years ago, there was a double-block in which one arm was the obvious blocking arm, but the other was parallel to it as a backup, therefore not touching, but "just in case."

Now that I study Soo Bahk Do, there's the obvious blocking arm, but the second arm has its fist touch the inner upper forearm of the blocking arm, near the elbow. I remember reading that some arts don't have that second arm/fist touching the first one, but the second is very close. These seem to "bolster" or "buttress" the blocking arm instead of being "backup" as in GM Son's TKD.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

If you mean either blocking simulataneously with both arms to different attacks, using two arms to block the same attack or using one arm to block and the other to support, the answer is yes because we do all of those in my style. :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If you really get into the bunkai of the block, you'll discover that the "double block" has actually several applications. It can be a double block, or a block and a trap, or a block and a strike, or 2 strikes, or...

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I'm guessing you mean enhanced blocks (i.e. chudan uchi uke with the opposite fist on the blocking arm)? If so then many many karate styles have those types of blocks in there. Pinan San for example. I've never found much use for them, but admittedly I'm a decent sized guy and fairly strong. If you're a smaller person I can see some use for them.

well lemme try to illustrate :)

koto ( i think that's the way to spell it) is fore arm and uke is block.

\| | -> \|_| -> | |/

yeah this is a relly bad illustration but in the first one, it shows that the two connected lines are already in the koto uke block position and the single line is in pull back. Step by step would be to put the pulled back fist to your other elbow and then twist up and across with that hand.

yeah that was a really bad description sorry :)

but tallgeese and montana are correct, we can use this move for a variety of things like trapping the arm, breaking it, just blocking, but i don't think it would be used as a strike though...

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!