• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bizarre grading requirements

I'm for being physically fit at all, but, how does one being able to do 150 push-ups and/or the like equate with being able to do effective techniques? I've not done 1 push-up and/or the like during any testing in my past 45 years in the martial arts, nor have I ever required any of my students to do the same because if I can do the push-ups but I can't do any effective technque(s) effectively, then, I just might as well learn to run a marathon so that I can outrun my attacker.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In kata such as saifa and gekisai which are both smashing kata, you have to have the strength to be able to smash your opponent.

Planks work the core which also work the balance, these training exercises work good for kata such as kururunfa

You may already be well conditioned enough to smash the opponents without doing the extra pushups...but I do not think I am. So thats why I incorporate them within my dan testing, because if I dont feel I am, how can I feel comfortable that my student it without the extra work?

You may already be well conditioned enough to smash the opponents without doing the extra pushups...but I do not think I am.

Then don't do "smash" techniques, do something else that you can do! I'm sure that the "smashing" techniques are solid, but, like every style of the martial arts, there's many other optional techniques to use besides 'that one' particular technique.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What if a student cannot perform siad "extra" activity?

How so?...Do you mean like mentally disabled...?...Then there is an exception...Limbless person, exception...perfect health?...No exception.

Woah how I have observed and/or know about many who get their grade and cannot perform not more than 3-5 pushups.

What if a student cannot perform siad "extra" activity?

How so?...Do you mean like mentally disabled...?...Then there is an exception...Limbless person, exception...perfect health?...No exception.

Woah how I have observed and/or know about many who get their grade and cannot perform not more than 3-5 pushups.

And I think that is a shame, how would the various Bushi feel if they were alive right now?