• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bizarre grading requirements

That's just insane. It sounds like some fraternity pledge.

I'm a beginner right now and if I seen that in the requirements I would leave immediately.

Humility is replaced by spotlight fueled egos these days.

I agree with sensei8, the martial arts wasn't founded on the bizarre.

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that things like push ups etc have no place in a martial arts grading, but I was recently talking to a lady who was a 2nd dan in Tang Soo Do in the UK.

She told me that one of the requirements for 1st dan was to perform a number of push ups with a mouth full of curry powder.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, or any other bizarre requirements?

H.

Although push ups are not needed in a grading, they do however test your arm and core strength and endurance. But in my gradings there is no certain number of pushusp you have to meet, you just have do as much as you can.

• 3 months later...
I personally think that things like push ups etc have no place in a martial arts grading

H.

One of the reasons I'm not signing up to the Kenpo school again (my ten week session was up yesterday) is because in order to get a yellow belt there little white belts have to do 50 pushups (and i don't know how many situps) And I don't know how many higher belts have to do. Now as a Karateka I know its important to be fit, (you'd be no good to yourself or anyone else in a kumite if you burned out quickly) but I don't get the point of having to do situps and pushups to get your first belt. Maybe one of you here can explain because I sure don't get it........?

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I personally think that things like push ups etc have no place in a martial arts grading

H.

One of the reasons I'm not signing up to the Kenpo school again (my ten week session was up yesterday) is because in order to get a yellow belt there little white belts have to do 50 pushups (and i don't know how many situps) And I don't know how many higher belts have to do. Now as a Karateka I know its important to be fit, (you'd be no good to yourself or anyone else in a kumite if you burned out quickly) but I don't get the point of having to do situps and pushups to get your first belt. Maybe one of you here can explain because I sure don't get it........?

We have a similar requirement but its only like 10 of each at that level. For us its supposed to be that the student understands that physical conditioning is part of the training and that they need a good core and to get them to do the exercises by themself at home because "its part of the curriculem". TBH I think 50 is a little excessive especially at the first belt level.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think it's a good idea. It's a good way to make sure that you're really strong enough for whatever rank you are supposed to represent. Or if the training changes in a certain way after you gain the rank - it's making sure you're strong enough to keep up with the exercise. If nothing else you're just making sure you get stronger. Of course there are limits. I don't know about curry powder. But if I wasn't allowed to get my black belt unless I could do 50 push ups while my instructor kicked at my ribs like they do at some Kyokushin schools; I would be a happier man.

I could handle the pushups and curry powder.

Now having being forced to take a laxitive and do the test for a length of time, that will be a challenge.

That would be where I draw the line :lol:

I'm sorry but I find this utterly outrageous, unnecessary and irrelevant to training. If I was that lady, I would have refused and left the school. Just goes to show you how some head instructors have an overactive ego and inflated vision of themselves.

This overactive ego also flows into ranking and title. All too often, some intense martial art instructors become militant in their ideals of training. This is ok, IF the student(s) realise what is involved, BEFORE starting any type of training from these types.

You sure she wasn't just joking?

For pushups I feel they are needed, how else is a black belt test hard without something physically demanding? For shodan we are set at 150 pushups at one time, and a 5 minute plank...but not before a 5 mile "Warrior" run at 6 am. All of my Dan testing are done on a Saturday morning starting at 6am and the test usually finishes at noon. Then we have an awards ceremony which is basically a big lunch.