• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Sharp" punches

Minesweeper

I know that it comes with practice, but what exactly should you be concentrating on when practicing them to make your punches, etc. intense/sharp?

For example, when I'm doing a high block, I turn my fist outwards at the last moment like I'm told to, but it still looks incredibly weak and lame. Same with a sudo block. On the other hand, I've seen 10 year old greenbelts somehow perform these blocks like they have been doing it for years.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without seeing what you are doing it will be difficult for anyone to give you exact reasons why you feel your strikes/blocks feel week. In general to make a strong strike or block you need to get your lower body (hips/legs) involved. Remember you are punching with your legs. If don’t, then all you’re doing is punching/blocking with your arm, which is a lot weaker then the rest of your body. Think rotational and linear power when practicing.

In general to make a strong strike or block you need to get your lower body (hips/legs) involved.

I think this is very true. Technique/form is the key. Sometimes, when we do strikes quickly, such as to get in as many as possible as quickly as possible, form breaks down, and so the technique that gives power (hips turning, for example, as the punch is fired off) is compromised. Power is then lacking.

Have you tried slower but more concentrated punches against a heavy bag or other target? Then you can focus on technique for maximum impact.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Can't argue with any of this advice. Practice more, hit the heavy bag, take things slow (form first, speed and power comes later), and really try to understand the principles behind the technique.

For the last part, I can recommend two good books.

Martial Mechanics by Phillip Starr

Advanced Karate-do by Elmar T. Schmeisser, Ph.D.

Something to remember as well is to relax. If your worried about the power of a technique you often tense up and try to "push" a punch or block. With correct technique and relaxed snap, you'll build that sharp penitrating power.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Without seeing what you are doing it will be difficult for anyone to give you exact reasons why you feel your strikes/blocks feel week. In general to make a strong strike or block you need to get your lower body (hips/legs) involved. Remember you are punching with your legs. If don’t, then all you’re doing is punching/blocking with your arm, which is a lot weaker then the rest of your body. Think rotational and linear power when practicing.

I agree. Power comes from the ground, up through the legs, through the hips, then into the upper body, shoulders, and out through the arms.

Also, punching the air will only take you so far. Get to a bag, and work on it there, too. The resistance that a bag provides will help to build strength in technique. If you have access to someone that is skilled in the use of the makiwara, this can be beneficial as well.

I agree. Power comes from the ground, up through the legs, through the hips, then into the upper body, shoulders, and out through the arms.

Also, punching the air will only take you so far. Get to a bag, and work on it there, too. The resistance that a bag provides will help to build strength in technique. If you have access to someone that is skilled in the use of the makiwara, this can be beneficial as well.

This kind of "power up from the ground" thinking has more in keeping with boxing than it does with Karate imo.

Don't get me wrong it has its place, but karate is not "singularly" a one hit power house type art.

What of "Atemi" and the softening of an opponent leading to kuzushi?

Key imo, is to use the centre of mas correctly, but importantly to compliment this with speed, targeting and power through correct form.

Rooting yourself to the floor to generate power may be good for weight lifters, but in truth makes you "stuck" as a fighter.

Fluid movement is the key to power. IMO

Ask your sensei about Kime - this will enlighten you greatly.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

This kind of "power up from the ground" thinking has more in keeping with boxing than it does with Karate imo.

Don't get me wrong it has its place, but karate is not "singularly" a one hit power house type art.

I don't think Brian was referring to anything "singularly," Michi, but to what the OP was asking. I like this video (link below) by Bas Rutten on the boxing aspect (but I'd just call it the punching aspect) of MMA, and the stance he refers to as different from the boxer's stance, in that he has to keep his legs useful as weapons--and defendable against attack as well. I think that what he says does have its applications to karate.

The URL is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_gq3s3FMsg

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Heh heh, I know I shouldn't laugh, but you guys are all right in my opinion, so it's funny to see an argument erupting over it.

In my experience with karate, and from what every sensei I trained under for the past 9 years has told me, the key to executing any technique correctly is the contrast. In other words, it's all about the balance.

For instance:

- A punch must be 100% relaxed while moving, but 100% tense only in the instant of its strike.

- Steps should be fluid while moving between techniques (so that you are fast and don't get "stuck" as wnm said), but rooted and firm in the very split second of the execution of a block or strike (to make it as powerful as possible like everyone else said).

- Timing cannot be too early or too late. So we practice moving slow and quickly in kata.

- Distance cannot be too close or too near. So we practice both close and far distance in training.

The examples can go on and on. That's why Having the capacity to create these polar opposites in your body, and what's more so, developing full command of them are what will allow you to improve. There are no short cuts, no secrets or cheats I can tell you better than this.

best of luck with your punches

Edited by Shizentai

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Heh heh, I know I shouldn't laugh, but you guys are all right in my opinion, so it's funny to see an argument erupting over it.

Not an argument Shizentai, just an informed discussion ;)

In my experience with karate, and from what every sensei I trained under for the past 9 years has told me, the key to executing any technique correctly is the contrast. In other words, it's all about the balance.

For instance:

- A punch must be 100% relaxed while moving, but 100% tense only in the instant of its strike.

I would say that a punch can and probably should stay relaxed through the point of impact as well. The action of tensing muscle groups should typically be done at the end of the technique (on its return journey after it has travelled through the target), this is more to do with protecting from hyper-extension rather than generating power. If you think about it, the action of "tensing" involves engaging different muscle groups in opposite directions...to work against each other. How can that add power to a punch?

Steps should be fluid while moving between techniques (so that you are fast and don't get "stuck" as wnm said), but rooted and firm in the very split second of the execution of a block or strike (to make it as powerful as possible like everyone else said).

It all should be fluid imo, as the moment you root, as the word suggests, you are stuck - even if for a split second.

Personally, I never like the analogy of pushing a punch as if you were pushing a car up a hill, as for me it seems to suggest that most of your energy is going backward/into the ground, before you have even come into contact with anything.

I prefer to think of pulling rather than pushing, but I would concur that no matter what approach you have, your stance has to be stable.

The examples can go on and on. That's why Having the capacity to create these polar opposites in your body, and what's more so, developing full command of them are what will allow you to improve. There are no short cuts, no secrets or cheats I can tell you better than this.

best of luck with your punches

Creating polar opposites has its place in your karate training (ie dynamic tension vs fluid movement) but it takes years of training to subsume this understanding in your training... outside of this it adds conflict in my opinion. I agree that karate training at certain levels is about rules and contradictions to them (as part of the training structure of the school), but martial arts like karate have to be functional IMO, and if there is conflict in how to make them work properly there is a risk they will let you down should you need them (god forbid).

See Shizentai, no argument just good discussion - ;)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk