Bo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've even just typed "bo" or "bo staff" and you get everything from simple drills and strikes to full forms and combat. If you throw a "vs." in there you get some great combat too. One of my favs looks like a very old fight. a Bo vs. Three section staff. Awesome stuff. :o

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

• 2 months later...

If any of the Utube Bo vids stick out let me know! The ones I've been paying close attention too are the "Martial Art Bo Staff Tech" That guy has some good tips for tricks. I too am only just starting out. Some luck with behind the neck, figure 8's, and hand/finger rolls. Good stuff! :D

Yeah..that's all fine and good and all, but is there anything there that's an actual good technique, or just twirling crap?

Behind the neck, figure 8's, and hand/finger rolls are good if you're going to be a baton twirler in a marching band, but have no use in the martial arts except for show. My opinion after 30+ years training in, and teaching Okinawan Kobudo anyway.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

If any of the Utube Bo vids stick out let me know! The ones I've been paying close attention too are the "Martial Art Bo Staff Tech" That guy has some good tips for tricks. I too am only just starting out. Some luck with behind the neck, figure 8's, and hand/finger rolls. Good stuff! :D

Yeah..that's all fine and good and all, but is there anything there that's an actual good technique, or just twirling crap?

Behind the neck, figure 8's, and hand/finger rolls are good if you're going to be a baton twirler in a marching band, but have no use in the martial arts except for show. My opinion after 30+ years training in, and teaching Okinawan Kobudo anyway.

I understand what you mean to a point here, and I was at the time just in the experimental stages of what I can do. Mostly a fan just watching different videos. My formal bo training didn't start until this month. Would you disagree that figure 8's are affective both offensively, and/or defensively?

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

I think a figure 8 is probably good against some inexperienced attackers as a form of intimidation with the weapon. You can hit with a figure 8 attack, but it will stop the figure 8 after that. More conventional methods of striking would work better, I think.

While I'm very well versed in the Bo, I find nothing wrong with swinging the Bo like a louisville slugger. Batter-up!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!